Xantia headlights, timing belt and water pump.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stepto1
My Cars:

Xantia headlights, timing belt and water pump.

Post by Stepto1 »

Well, I'm back from sea after an eight week trip to find it's all gone dark and cold!!

The Xantia disgraced itself on the way to Plymouth and dumped all the coolant over the carpark. Luckily, I had got there so no harm done. One of the guys on base works at the car club and has kindly done the water pump and changed the timing belt where he was there. Many thanks Tommy. No more leaks and peace of mind now the belt has been done, it was due to be changed anyway.

On my way back I realised how bad the lights were. Being tight I bought some cheap 100w lamps off ebay. Rubbish would be too kind a word. One blew in less than 24 hours and the lights are no brighter. So I've just invested in a set of Osram Nightbreakers. Not arrived yet but fingers crossed. Had a look at the reflectors and they look in good nick and the glass is not scratched.

Other then that, all seems well. will change the LMH fluid soon so that will be fun!!!

Stepto.
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

I wouldn't mind knowing how you get on with those fancy bulbs, as long as the amperage/wattage isn't likely to overload the wiring or fuse(s) i wouldn't mind upgrading my candles.....er i mean headlamp bulbs. I am however in the process of sourcing a replacement n/s headlamp though as my current one got damaged by a stone & is now full of condensation.
Music keeps me going.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I have Nightbreakers, but not on a Xantia. Nightbreakers aren't a higher wattage, just a whiter light, so they won't hurt your wiring.

They are definitely whiter and they do seem to be better but that might be an illusion caused by the whiteness. They are in a Volvo 940, which suffers from similar problems to the Xantia- a narrow nose and light unit split up so you have two (three in the case of the Volvo) small lights instead of one big one.

One thing you could do is try driving a C5 in the dark, you will never complain about the Xantia's lights again. I think manufacturers deliberately fitted inadequate headlights from the 1990s on so they could foist HiDs on us.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I've got nightbreakers in my Xantia - they are better than std, but I'm still planning to fit relays. You need to keep them clean too, as that makes a real difference on Xantias.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xantia lights are not the best but good bulbs and careful adjustment can make them quite tolerable.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

Thanks for those bits of info chaps, I'm currently waiting on a replacement n/s headlamp, when that arrives i'll be investing in a set of these bulbs (headlamp alignment isn't an issue as im an MOT tester :) ).

With referance to c5 headlamps i didn't think they were that bad although probably about 85% of the driving i did in them was during daylight hours, i don't like them high output ones, i think the bulbs alone were about £100.00 each although it's usually the ECU that fails first.
Music keeps me going.
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Right, Osram Nightbreakers came in the post this morning, bought four lamps for less then 50 quid so happy with that.

Just fitted them and the difference is easy to notice. The pattern of light is much more sharp and defined, the light is cleaner and is brighter. Well worth the money. Will check the voltage to make sure they're getting 12v tomorrow.
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

I have a pair of Osram Silverstars but haven't got round to fitting them yet.

The car has some about 30% uprated ones I bought in Halfords earlier for about twice the cost of what the Osrams cost

Does anyone dare use the brighter ones on dip beam, or just mains, which I think aren't bad anyway?
Last edited by andy5 on 21 Dec 2010, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
Stepto1
My Cars:

Post by Stepto1 »

Got Nightbreakers in dip and main beam. Had no problems as the lights are adjusted correctly. Easy to see that the light pattern is not in anyone's eyes. Checked the voltage at the lamps and there is no voltage drop. Still having fun with the blower. May have to invest in a relay methinks.....