Xantia timing belt might have slipped

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Xantia timing belt might have slipped

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys, great site. Looking for a bit of help.

My car's a 1998 1.9TD Xantia. LHD Spanish car. 140,000kms.

Both my dad and me have repaired all our cars ourselves but this is my first diesel and I'm a bit unsure of diesels.

A couple of days ago on the way to the annual road worthiness test (MOT/ ITV) on the motorway doing 120kph the car started to sound a bit clattery and there was a bit of sand coloured smoke on hard acceleration. I had to go through with the test (or get a fine!) and the car passed. I drove the car gingerly home but it was 50kms on motorway and then mountain road. Got home ok but the next day the car wouldn't start. Managed to get the car going and now there is masses of black smoke out the exhaust when reving in neutral but none that I could see whilst driving. Drove it 10mins to the garage and the mechanic thinks the timing belt has slipped a tooth. He can't even look at the car until a week tuesday though.

Clattery, black smoke and less power...belt sound likely? I need the car but I have left it with the mechanic, don't want to kill the engine!

Many thanks, Jaf
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Jaf and welcome to the forum :D

Not necessarily a belt slip although a quick check of the timing is an easy and a very wise first step.

Did the Engine management light come on when this happened? I ask as the symptoms also describe what would happen if the Diesel Pump timing went far out of tolerance either due to a problem with the pump, the ECU or the sensors.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Jim, thanks for your reply. The engine management light flickered on when I couldn't get the car to start, but only when the engine was turning over. I think it was as the battery was dying ( after a while had to charge it up ).

Am very tempted to get the car back from the mechanic, but am worried that it is the belt and it could snap. Only took the car to mechanic for his opinion but he said I shouldn't drive it. A good way of getting the work!

What are Xantia's like for freewheeling? I'm guessing no brakes or steering...it's all downhill from the garage.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Being a 1998 Xantia, it will have anti sink, and if it works ok, the car WILL stay up at normal right height when the pump is NOT running..

Now - as for your symptoms, this sounds JUST like a ONE TOOTH slip on the belt, which should NOT have caused any damage..

The symptoms you describe sound just like Valve timing, NOT injection timing. Ive done this myself, when Ive tried to do a belt WITHOUT a timing pin in the crank...

The engine goes after a bit indicating incorrect valve timing. Get the covers off, and set the crank to TDC useing the Timing hole and a 6mm allen key, behind the starter motor.

Theres nothing untoward in these XUD engines!! Basic priciples are the same SUCK SQUEEZE POP EXPAND.... except the fuel is injected onto the top of the compressed air - but NOT Directly - rather then a spark igniting a fuel air mixture. If you imagine an invisible spark plug, then you are there :lol:

Once you find the TDC setting, theres then an 8mm bolt hole for the Cam shaft sprocket around 4 to 5 oclock position... then the injection sprocket also has an 8mm bolt hole at either 12 o oclock, or 4 o clock. There two positions for other reasons that you can remove the injection pump without disturbing the Cam belt.

Once you got both sprockets and the Crank all timed up, refit a belt and tension it TIGHT, useing the auto spring loaded tensioner. The XUD engines break all tensioning rules in that the belt should be TIGHT, and not slack.

My guess is when you got the Crank at TDC, you Will not get the bolt in the Cam Shaft sprocket screwed into the head.

Good luck
Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if anything was out of time how did it get through the emmision test,

regards malcolm
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Decided not to try to freewheel the car home. Felt a little dangerous due to hairpin turns with sheer drops!

Went to see mechanic yesterday. He's managed to look at the car and the alternator belt had lost a strand, which wrapped itself round the crankshaft pulley and belt. Yikes! Had been meaning to change the alternator belt for some time but never got round to it. Let that be a lesson to me!

Hopefully the damage is just the timing belt, should find out later today or tomorrow.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

THATS the PERFECT indication that the Spring loaded tensioner IS BUGGERED!!

You WILL need to change that too!! Or else you will be dooing the same in a few months time!!!

Its the reason why its happened!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Got the car back yesterday. He replaced both belts, 2 roller/ tensioners and crankshaft pulley. Cost 350 euros 280 of which was parts. Parts are very expensive in Spain, but labour's cheap enough.

Lovely to have a car again...best of all the pump timing must have been out a bit cos she drives lovely now, much better acceleration.

Thanks for all the advice.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's brilliant news :D

You're right. labour is cheap. Here that labour charge could just about cover the time a mechanic takes to suck his teeth and stab furiously on his calculator.

I've always believed garage calculators are specially designed for the job. the equals key is the squared key for most but the cubed key for really tough jobs...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...