Xantia gears gone mad

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

CitroJim wrote:
If you look at 'tother end of the cat you'll see it terminates in an oval flange with two bolts in the flange. The underside will have a spring, a cup and a nut. You need to undo the 10mm nut whilst counter-holding the 10mm bolt head. You need ideally an assistant to help with this.
Jim, can't undo these nuts!
Just to be clear, am I supposed to be undoing the nut closer to the cat whilst counter-holding the other nut more into the engine? Or is it the other way around?
I have been trying to undo the side more into the engine bay, whilst counter holding the nut more towards the cat.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Doesn't really matter, as long as one end is held and the other turned. They are a b1tch to do without the car on a 2 poster !!
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

right...got one off! its the one towards the passenger side,,used a socket wrench on the side closer to the manifold, and used a six side spanner on the nut on the side closer to the cat...

now...this second one is a dog! cant even really get hand into the manifold side properly...tried and tried and tried...couldnt get anywhere...then even pulled of this metal heat shield from right under it..which gave me much better access, but still cant do it... the socket wrench was the too long to fit on to the nut, as the gap between the nut and whatever is behind it is too narrow to fit the socket wrench...so got out a shorter, smaller socket wrench, which can fit within the gap onto the nut...however, cant manoeuvre,,,this angle is just too hard, cant get hands into right place...

what should i do??? just feel like pulling the exhaust pipe off!!!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Can you get a universal joint for your socket set - invaluable in cases like yours.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I recall on the V6 using a 1/4" drive socket with a universal joint and several long extensions.

It is a bit of a devil!

It needs a bit of Malcolm's PERCYWHATSIT :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

exactly what am doing now..looking online for some other sort of tool....looking at those bent spanners,,whatever theyre called, swan necks deep offsets or something...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

For V6s especially, I custom bent a 10mm ring spanner to do the job but I don't think this will help much on a 2.1TD as you can't get to it from the top because of turbo pipery and so on in the way.

It's therefore all got to be done from below but again, if you think a specially bent spanner will help, don't buy expensive purpose-made ones, just go out and buy a cheap set of Chinese ones and bend them yourself....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

Right, got the the other bolt off! Can't get the darned front pipe off now! Where it's joined to the cat, have undone that nuts off the bolt on the bracket, but can't get the bolt out of the bracket, nor the front pipe off. Am i supposed to remove the back box or something first?
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

could anyone please advise me whether or not the entire exhaust must be removed in order to remove the front pipe?
thanks
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

ok...got the front pipe off...without removing the rest of the exhaust from the back....
now...how on earth do i fit the horse shoe clip back on the cable...any tips on how to do it? i am struggling to get it lined up...
also, may have lost one of the horse shoe shaped clips...where can i get a replacement in case it is gone forever?
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

ok...got the horseshoe clip on...one of them, the one that is on the left when looking from front top of engine bay...seem to have misplaced the other...any ideas where i can get a replacement from?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Those horseshoe clips are pretty standard things Isa, for gearbox cables anyway. A breakers is likely your best bet.

Mind you, I'll bet that it's just pinged off and a good search in the vicinity should find it... It's amazing how such things can hide in the recesses of the subframe...
Jim

i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

do all xantia have those horseshoe clips? because am pretty sure from previous trips that the local scrappy doesnt have a 2.1td...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Only the 2.1, HDi's and Activas have the cable gear changes... so, really, the rare ones :D :lol:

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

citroenxm wrote:Only the 2.1, HDi's and Activas have the cable gear changes... so, really, the rare ones :D :lol:

Paul
there definitely isn't one of those in any of the local scrappies here...
would it be possible to get a horseshoe clip from the dealer?
any idea on the part number for it?