Citroen Relay engine swap XUD advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

warren555
My Cars:

Post by warren555 »

Okay, so water pump and timing belt in hand it's time to start putting this all back together.
All I need now are the torque settings for the water pump and crankshaft bolt. Does anyone have these to hand?
Alex, I am curious about the car destroyed by Kent police. Any fantastically interesting story behind it?
Cheers,
Warren
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Warren.

water pump bolts are 11mm so they don't need to be fantastically tight. 12 Nm or 9 ft lbs is the recommended.

The crank bolt is done up to 40 Nm (30 ft lbs) initially and then angle tightened a further 60 degrees. In other words, well tight.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
warren555
My Cars:

Post by warren555 »

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the quick reply. I was not sure if anyone was still following this saga. Thankfully you are!
Will post back with an update when I am done.
Cheers,
Warren
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

warren555 wrote:I was not sure if anyone was still following this saga.
You can be sure there are plenty Warren. Just because there are no replies does not mean it's not being keenly watched :D

We're all fingers crossed for you here!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

warren555 wrote: Alex, I am curious about the car destroyed by Kent police. Any fantastically interesting story behind it?
Not really, some 'orrible little oik from Folkestone stole it from outside my house and dumped it somewhere. The police found it and towed it away and held their hand out for £150 to get it back, £75 to scrap it and £15 a day every day they had it.

Couldn't afford £150 for a car I didn't use, uninsured and untaxed too...so I'd have to pay someone to tow it back too :(

I liked that car, although the ZX is much better...when it works :D

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
warren555
My Cars:

Post by warren555 »

Ahh. I was hoping for something along the lines of some dangerous terrorist stole it and it was destroyed by a cruise misile fired from the deck of the HMS Invicible as she was moored somewhere in the Med.
Still, yours was not a bad story.
Have your shims turned up yet?

Thanks for the sentiments Jim.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

T'was a bit of a wind up. Apparently they got him, and he's been put inside for a number of things now, which is a little bit of justice. But my brother still doesn't have a little 106 to drive when he finally learns to drive.

Shims not turned up yet; I know they're on their way,chap from Tate's Citroen rang me on saturday morning asking for a delivery address. Hoping they turn up soon. Bloody Royal Mail.

I did a very silly thing and left the notepad where I scrawled down which shim has to go where in Brighton :oops:
Lucky my housemate hasn't gone home yet.

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
warren555
My Cars:

Post by warren555 »

Parcels are backed up out the sorting office doors now. With the chance of more snow on the way I hope things work out for you sooner rather later.

Let's hope your housemate can read your writing :lol:

Cheers,
Warren
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent Warren.

water pump bolts are 11mm so they don't need to be fantastically tight. 12 Nm or 9 ft lbs is the recommended.

The crank bolt is done up to 40 Nm (30 ft lbs) initially and then angle tightened a further 60 degrees. In other words, well tight.
Tighten the crank bolt WHILE the locking pin is still in the Flywheel!!!

I use a TINY bit of threadlock on the Crank Bolt too....

I have seen what happens when the crank bolt undoes a little and the crank pully batters the crap out of the key way, and the crank bolt then sieze's in the crank!! Serious, its SERIOUS CRAP!!!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
warren555
My Cars:

Post by warren555 »

Hi Paul,
Excellent advice. I am about to go out now so should have something more to report tonight.
Cheers,
Warren
warren555
My Cars:

Post by warren555 »

Very frustrating day.
Do some work, rain, stop. More work, off to motor factors. More rain.
Some work, off to motor factors. Rain etc etc.
If nothing else, I learned today to make some sort of order for my work and get everything I need before starting.
Paul, I went to the motor factors twice today and still forgot to get the threadlock. :oops:
Still, I got the water pump on and managed to get all the locking pins and bolts in place.
Jim, when you gave me your instructions regarding a seized water pump, you mentioned the fact that the Bosch turned as if it was going through compression strokes. When I timed up the fuel pump, it locks in at about 1 o' clock which it right in the middle of a "compression stroke". Does this seem right to you? I did not see any other bolt holes so assumed this to be correct.
Well tomorrow is another day so hopefully I will have some more progress.
I was thinking about when the belt is on. Is it best to remove all the timing bolts and pins and then turn the engine by hand (ratchet) via the crankshaft bolt, just to make sure it is all lined up correctly.

A complete aside that I forgot to mention at the begining. I am not the weakest bloke in the world but I am no Mr Universe either, but I managed to tear the timing belt off. It took as much force as to tear a piece of cardboard and just tore with one go from side to side! This can't be right, can it?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The pump TIMES AT 4 o clock, and yes its in the middle of a compression stroke..

MAKE sure you are timed on the correct hole on the pump, theres TWO holes on the pump.. for other reasons... One at 12 one at around 4pm...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

warren555 wrote: A complete aside that I forgot to mention at the begining. I am not the weakest bloke in the world but I am no Mr Universe either, but I managed to tear the timing belt off. It took as much force as to tear a piece of cardboard and just tore with one go from side to side! This can't be right, can it?
No, that's not right at all. A timing belt should be very tough indeed. In my experience they even take a bit of cutting with a Stanley knife. In no way should you be able to tear it with bare hands.
Jim

warren555
My Cars:

Post by warren555 »

Right. My pump has three holes on the pulley. One spoke has one hole. Another spoke has a hole the same size as the first one and a smaller hole beneath it. When I lined it up the bolt sits at about 1 o' clock.
I am just going outside now with a torch to see if I can see another bolt hole, but I did not see it earlier.
warren555
My Cars:

Post by warren555 »

Hi Paul,
Yes I see it now, thanks. Do I use the spoke with the single hole or the one with the double hole.
Thanks,
Warren