STOP!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

algieuk

Post by algieuk »

So long as it doesn't spill out then it is safer to have a little too much fluid than too little. I will stick with what the handbook says and use the lower disk. My BX before last would bring on the stop light on right hand bends if the lower disk dropped out of the rings, and on the last one the steerng would get heavy. I hate to think what whould have happened if the top disk had got down to the lower ring.
Bob Smith
My Cars:

Post by Bob Smith »

Algieuk, it's the genuine Citroen book.

I've now had a good look at the spare unit I have and as Anders says the lower disc, brass, is actually part of the switch. Close examination shows that it is actually free to move on the white nylon spindle. If you look at the discs with the resevoir installed you will see what I mean. The whole thing is very confusing since the Citroen drivers handbooks give conflicting advice.
Heres's the relevant image from the manual
Bob
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Hmmm, So both my BX's were faulty because they produced a stop signal or other problems when the level was well above the permitted minimum (the top disk was well above the bottom line), and my Xantia seems to suffer from this too. Seems that Citroens have a major and possibly dangerous design fault. Interestingly, if the drawing are anything like to scale it appears that it would be impossible for the level indicator to fall to minimum before the lower disk stopped its travel. Mybe these cars aren't as good as I thought. However, Anders does clearly state "The Bronze/orange (whatever) colour of the float top hat - has 1 single purpose :
To make a welldefined endstop against the indicator glass bulb top" and "The yellow ring is the indicator ring", and that is good enough for me. Like i said..a few cc over and the worst that can happen is a bit of LHM on top of the reservior, but a few cc's under and...well...who knows.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The level shouldn't be that sensitive in normal driving as the car should be put on max height for checking and then is lowered for driving which casiss the level in the reservoir to rise and the float to hit the top of the plastic bubble.
jeremy
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by algieuk</i>

I know that when mine fell to the level of the top disk the stop light would come on round right hand bends.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You were checking the level with the suspension on the highest setting (lever all the way to the back)?
Xantia handbook says the yellow marker but has a diagram indicating the top hat which is orange in real life but yellow in the manual.
Another thing. If it is the bottom disc, why even bother with the upper level marker as it is impossible to get the lower disc above that line because the upper disc hits the top of the bubble first.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

This on a site linked to in anotehr thread shows the French handbook and although it is a little fuzzy seems to indicate the top hat as the level marker.