STOP!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chueewowee
My Cars:

STOP!

Post by chueewowee »

Hi,
Could someone tell me the whole list of things that the big red STOP! warning light
covers on a BX TDZ ?
You see I don't know why its on, s I've drained the radiator and changed the cv booots. I
have disconnected the brake pad warning light wires at the pads. The coolant is full. The
screen washer has been refilled I also fixed a hydraulic leak on one pressure regulator
at front, and refilled th ehydraulic flluid witht he bronze marker between the tow
indicator lines, with vehicle height set to high.
Much appreciated.
John PLum
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You have covered most causes for the STOP lamp.
On the BX these are :
1) Hydraulic pressure low
2) Hydraulic reservoir level low
3) Coolant level low
4) Engine oil level (pressure) low
5) Engine overheated
These are the fatal causes for the STOP light to come on.
The stop lamp ONLY works in parallel with the fatal warning sensors/lamps - you should allways have one of these come on with the STOP lamp.
If not - it may be time for a (bothersome) bulb replacement in the instrument panel.
With ignition key in 1. position - you should have the lamps test on.
Screen washer level & brake pads wear does NOT lit the STOP lamp.
That's why you should be (and yes - you are) concerned about a lit STOP lamp.
From your submission I read you have not checked the engine oil level ?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chueewowee</i>

and refilled th ehydraulic flluid witht he bronze marker between the tow indicator lines,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Isn't it the orange marker that goes between the lines? It's the top disc of the two anyway. If you get the bottom one over the lower line the top one is jammed against the top of the bubble.
That wouldn't cause the stop light to come on.
Usually there is a second light to indicate where the actual problem lies, but it may be that the other bulb has blown.
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

According to the handbook that came with my car it is the LOWER or yellow disk that should be between the lines. Haynes disagrees with this, but I think I will go with the manufacturers recommendation.
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

I had 4 BXs but never a handbook. I've never checked what the Xantia handbook says.
chueewowee
My Cars:

Post by chueewowee »

I have sorted out the problem:
1) yes bulbs have blown in the driver console.
2) the Stop light came on because I had overfilled the hydraluic reservoir. There are
tow wires leadin to the sensor.
3) I had aligned the broze disc between the two level lines, but it seems like it should
be the orange plastic 'hat' on top. I had forgotten this, as I read the Haynes manuel
which clearly says the yellow disc, but points to the disc on top. Perhaps the colours
changed during production. Anyway it is the orange disc on top think, Can you confirm?
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Nope, according to manual it is the LOWER YELLOW disk. check this link:-
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tywyn-gwyn ... raulic.jpg
I notice that an earlier manual also says it is the yellow disk, but points to the top one though.
I know that when mine fell to the level of the top disk the stop light would come on round right hand bends.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

It's good news that you no longer have the 'stop' light frightening the life out of you. But it didn't come on because you over-filled the reservoir. Doing that wouldn't bring on the warning light. Some other fault has been put right, either by you or by accident.
Bob Smith
My Cars:

Post by Bob Smith »

This is very confusing, algieuk's link shows a copy taken from a Citroen drivers book. My Citroen drivers book shows the upper (coolies hat) disc (as in brown Haynes page 202). Somewhere I've got another drivers book but can't find it at present. The later (blue) Haynes dodges the issue completely!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The Bronze/orange (whatever) colour of the float top hat - has 1 single purpose :
To make a welldefined endstop against the indicator glass bulb top.
The yellow ring is the indicator ring.
Anyway the most sure & logic level test is this :
1) car in LOWEST height - reservoir filler lid off - fluid level to be approx 40-50mm down. If lower down - top up.
2) car in HIGHEST height - yellow float ring to be at least OVER the lower red ring on glass - top up if not.
The level float has a brass contact piece - shorting out 2 contact pins if the float goes LOW - thereby signalling the warning lamp.
It can NEVER indicate OVERlevel - as this is to no consequence at all - except for possible risc of messy greasy spots in your driveway.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Both my BX handbooks (BX19 and diesel) show the top plastic disk near the top line in the plastic bubble. Both refer to the disc as yellow but on both my cars it is orange. Perhaps allowances should be made in the translation.
I think the worst that will happen on overfilling is leakage from the top seal.
In my experience the warning light is quite sensitive to fluid dropping just below the lower mark and will come on on cornering at first and stay on for longer as it drops a little lower.
Jeremy
Bob Smith
My Cars:

Post by Bob Smith »

I've had a good look through my Citroen workshop manual and that shows the TOP disc as the marker! The sectioned drawing does seem to show that the copper ring (the lower disc) is used for the low LHM level contact, this wolud make sense. I'll look at a spare unit I have this weekend and report back.
Bob
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

Are you referring to a proper Citroen workshop manual, or the Haynes version?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

After I got my BX in 1991,I obtained a reprint of an article taken from The Diesel Car Magazine dated June and July 1989 which detailed the step-by-step servicing of a BX DTRturbo. The article describes the level as being right "when the yellow disc is between the two red rings". The photo clearly shows the 'top hat' at the top of the bulb, with the lower ring between the two red lines. Haynes No 908, which I also bought in 1991 condradicts the magazine article. It leads me to wonder if when the BX was introduced in 1982, the correct marker wasn't in fact the lower ring, which was later changed. And laying the foundation for confusion - a bit like whether it's possible to withdraw both driveshafts at the same time.
My 1998 Xantia handbook describes the level as being correct when the yellow disc is between the two rings. The picture shows a yellow 'top hat', however, on my car, the marker is red
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

I still have to check my Xantia manual but I've been using the 'top hat' for the last 13 years and I have had no trouble. the only time the indicator light has come on was when a rear suspension pipe burst due to being incorrectly routed over the trailing arm.