Activa stalling cured !!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by davygr22 »

Having checked all the usual suspects I had another look at the connections on the rear of the electronic boost controller installed by XantiaMan - result !! Vacuum pipe must have been disturbed by someone pulling out the ashtray where it is mounted - I have now securely fastened this & wow,what a difference!! On boost setting 4 the car absolutely flies - spinning wheels in third gear on these greasy roads! - can really feel the benefit of the uprated turbo.
Hard to believe a small vacuum leak could cause such poor running - I'll know again - another lesson learned!!
Thanks for all the help & suggested areas to search.Now locked away until roads clean up & I can give it a good valet.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Congrats on finding the problem.
Small vac leaks really screw up the fueling, the MAF is saying one thing and the engines doing another, result the ECU gets confused !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news David :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I did say check the boost pipe :wink:

What is the current duty and gain setting on 4? I think the highest i found i could go without the ECU having a fit was around 59-60 duty and 12 gain.

The turbo is well matched to the engine, i spent a lot of time deciding what i wanted from the car and went for the option which helped decrease the inlet temperatures without affecting boost response. Everyone that has driven it since i sold it has been impressed so i must have done something right.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by davygr22 »

Yes Gareth - you did say the boost pipe & you were 100% correct - Can't think why I left it to the last,maybe just assumed EBC connections would
be OK as they were inside the car - lesson learnt.
I haven't altered your gain/DC/boost settings - setting 4 is 13.4psi boost,gain & DC as you said.
The performance really surprised me - I remember driving a standard Activa some years back & being unimpressed with the overall acceleration,no such feeling with this one -well done with that turbo upgrade!! This car is genuinely fast & the engine is very strong considering the mileage.I noticed it had done over 90k in the first five years of use,maybe a rep's car with motorway use??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Activa stalling cured !!!

Post by CitroJim »

davygr22 wrote:I noticed it had done over 90k in the first five years of use,maybe a rep's car with motorway use??
Not a Rep's car David. I don't know exactly but at one time it was filled to the gunwales with communications equipment. I pulled out miles of wiring and microphones when the car was under my ownership. Also, before Gareth did his magic on it, there were a lot of tell-tale scratches on the roof that suggested a magnetic light had been hastily placed there many times.

The original boot carpet had a massive square cut out of it and there was evidence of where some large brackets to hold something had been bolted to the boot floor.

I know nothing more than that sadly. I'm sure there is an interesting story behind it though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by davygr22 »

Thanks for that info Jim - the car obviously clocked up more than average miles in its earlier years,probably better for engine wear than stop/start urban driving!
David.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

We suspect it was ex-MOD, Jim will remember the stamped key ring. However their vehicles are maintained perfectly and the engine on that car was very strong as a result. The car had a few years of abuse before Jim got it and saved it but you would never know now, its a real Q car, thats why i got another!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
davygr22
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by davygr22 »

That makes sense Gareth - I know from previous experience that the PSA XU engine series suffer from valve stem oil seal/guide wear, which can make them smokey at highish mileages....no problems on this one.
Have you made any mods on your current Activa?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Dave wrote
"& I can give it a good valet."

is that irish for a bbbbb good smelly setion (giveing it a good work out)

regards malcolm