HDI loss of power; LIMP Mode running

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

joyfulnosaj

HDI loss of power; LIMP Mode running

Post by joyfulnosaj »

I have seen a couple of recent threads on this.

My 2002 HDI 2.0L (Dispatch) has lost power, won't go up hills or even long low slopes easily, fine down the other side.

Apart from that no strange noises, starts normally, no smoky exhaust, just no revs, no power. Drove happily from London to Devon yesterday and was ok apart from embarrasment with the queue behind up hills.

Reading some of the relevant threads, which suggest probably in some sort of 'limp mode'. Most likely a vaccum leak, worn solenoid, actuator.

Not sure if I take it to local Citroen that the diagnostics will show exactly which?

Anyway, can anybody recommend HDI mechanic/garage in either Devon or South London who might be able to sort this out sensibly (reasonably) as it is beyond my expertise.
Last edited by joyfulnosaj on 09 Dec 2010, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Have you checked your Fuel Filter, Air Filter, and if it is a 110 Bhp model, check the pipe (large one) that goes from the intercooler to the turbo. Not familiar with the area of Deven or South London, so cannot offer any advice there.
joyfulnosaj

Post by joyfulnosaj »

Thanks jmd. I think it is possibly the 90hp one (2.0L hdi 2002), but I am not sure.

Aplogies for ignorance. How do I check air filter (is that big black plastic box on the right of the engine?) what am i checking for?

How do I check the fuel filter. is the round black plastic thing in front of the engine with pipes in and out?. If so how do I check it and what am I looking for?
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

The box you mention sounds like the airfilter box, to be sure look for a big hose coming from it to somewhere near the engine.
Remove the top cover and examine the filter element, if it looks black on the inlet side, that is the underside, and there is loads of dust and rubbish in the pleats, replace it.
The fuel filter is in a canister on the front of the engine near the top under the plastic engine trim cover, with pipes attached as you mention, it has a slightly domed cover with 4 screws. Impossible to determine by sight if it's blocked or partially blocked, just replace it.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
joyfulnosaj

Post by joyfulnosaj »

Thanks HDI for the notes. Air filter is clean. Will try the fuel filter next.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Just a note on replacing the fuel filter, be EXTRA careful to prevent any dirt or contamination getting into the filter housing when going through the process of removing and replacing the filter. Common rail systems don't like dirt !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
joyfulnosaj

Post by joyfulnosaj »

Did not get to the fuel filter. Thought I would try the diagnostics test and see what came up.

Citroen garage (40 squids later) came up with a report that said:

Permanent fault: Turbo Pressure measured too low
Temporary fault: Electrovalve short circuited to earth or open circuit.

The mechanic said they he tried some tests and said that there was a leak in the Intercooler: cost £567 and they could replace the Electro valve £85. He said something like he had short circuited or tested without the electro valve and there was still a pressure fault in the intercooler

I guess I should believe it, but not convinced when they choose the biggest ticket item needs replacing.

For now I will keep driving around in 'limp mode' because £500+ spending is a bit too much for the value of the van which has just had a new 12 month MOT and is running ok apart form the limp and so monies might be better put towards another vehicle in due course later in the year when the MOT comes around.

Seems quite comfortable in limp mode apart from the hills, and is fine on the motorway and around town. Fuel seems to be stretching ok, I guess with such low power/speeds.
Last edited by joyfulnosaj on 08 Dec 2010, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
ataxidriver64

Post by ataxidriver64 »

Also check the air flow sensor, causes power problems which may not throw up codes.
A good test is to disconnect it and see if there is any difference in performance.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Good example of why not to buy things from dealers unless you really have no other option:

Ebay is good
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
joyfulnosaj

Post by joyfulnosaj »

I guess its just that I am not convinced that it is a leak in the intercooler itself as the Citroen garage said as there seem to be other reasons for low pressure.

At this stage, if I drive around in Limp mode (engine seems ok apart from hills), will it affect the engine and fuel economy?
waffleme
New User
My Cars: Citroen berlingo 625 lx hdi75 reg 2010

Re: HDI loss of power; LIMP Mode running

Post by waffleme »

this is exactly what is happening to my Citroen Berlingo van625 lx hdi75. have a warning come up to do with polum filter or something to that effect. get to a hill or climb I'm doing like 30mph but straight and down hill normal running.