Recommended tyres for Xantia!?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

debutant
My Cars:

Recommended tyres for Xantia!?

Post by debutant »

My tyres need replacing soon (after 25k miles). The current tyres I have (Tagar?) were cheap and have suited the need. However, I find them noisy and they don't offer that much grip (trust me, I have experienced some interesting situations).
Does anybody have a suggestion what would be the best tyres to put on a Xantia (at a resonable price though)? Or maybe share your experience with the tyres you use ....
Cheers,
John
Xantia 1.8i, 1997, 90k miles
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

I prefer Continental (Econtact?). Reasonable price, good grip, well balanced and quiet.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

I have a BX turbo with alloys off a zx and I've been running Yokahamas, as an ex motorcyclist I was very wary of Jap tyres but these have been great, feel good in the wet and over 30K out of a set of fronts! they seem to have good shoulders on them, a common problem with hydraulic cits is a tendancy to roll the rim over the edge of the tyre whilst cornering which wears the shoulders off, used to have loads of trouble with it on my GSs, guy at our local tyre depot who by the way was the only guy EVER to get the tracking right on our CXs said that there are some tyres whose construction is more suited to Hydraulic ccits than others, but at that point my memory ahs given up as to how to tell, but I'm sure others on this board will know about this
Pete
________
Phantom
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Mine had Tigar tyres on it when I bought it - I thought they they were pretty hopeless (not much grip, pretty wandery at speed, and not very long lasting). When the N/S front was near to the limit I replaced the fronts with Goodyear Eagle Venturas. What a revelation! Car feels like it is on rails now (need to do the rears as well, but funds do not allow!). They are heavy treaded - optimised for wet use - so would scrub out if pushed very hard in the dry, but I have not managed to get there yet, and I try pretty hard! The performance in the wet is awesome - 1/2" standing water on M-way at 80+ and not even a flinch.... They're also only about 2/3 the price of the recommended Michelins - what more can I say!
Richard
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Everyone has their own ideas about tyres, but I tend to stick with the big brands - actually I still use the factory-fitted Michelins, which at £130 a pair (all in, fitted at ATS) are probably not more than £40 more than the cheapo stuff.
Why pay the difference? Because, at any one moment, your whole car is travelling on an area of rubber that's only about four times the size of the sole on your shoe. That's a helluva responsibility. Be fussy.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Another vote for the Goodyear Eagle Ventura's. What a tyre, I only have them on the front at the moment, but the steering has sharpened up, the grip in the dry and especially the wet is fantastic. The ride is no worse off, though they aren't the quietest tyre, they are certainly the best I have ever used on any car. And as said before they are cheaper than the Michelin alternatives.
Try www.mytyres.net for low prices also.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

I run Goodyear Eagle F1's on my BX 16V - and despite expecting to go through fronts in less than 10k, I've now done 12k on them and they're still only half worn on the front!! The shoulders have taken a bit more of a hammering but not badly enough to change the handling, and they are relatively 'soft' compound. Optimised for wet weather grip, but excellent in the dry too. A full set for the BX in standard 195/60(or 65?) VR1**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] worked out at £200 fitted.
Other options worth exploring along the lines of tyres with tough sidewalls would be Toyo Proxes and possibly some Avon tyres? The standard Michelin's do last more or less for ever, until the sidewalls crack anyway, and are probably the strongest on sidewalls amongst the specifically high performance tyres mentioned.
If you're based anywhere near Andyspares then give Bracknell Tyre & Battery a call - cheaper than Micheldever - on 01344 411323
Adrian
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

Irrespective of the make of tyre, I support Bracknell Tyre & Battery - they have been one of the few places to balance my Xantia alloys properly (the type with no centre hole). Other tyre places have completely misbalanced them - they can't be bothered to use the necessary four bolt mandrel; and then tell me that the balance problem may due to the alloys being distorted! Places like Quickfit have said they don't have the mandrel, or "have lost it" - go the another brance for balancing.
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

i've got fulda lineos on my 93' xantia, they seem ok so far, have driven in very wet conditions & have turned corners quickly to see how they grip.
so far i'm impressed with them[:D].
dom
Bob Smith
My Cars:

Post by Bob Smith »

I'll vote for Bracknell tyres too. There's only one problem with them, they are always busy and you may have to wait quite a long time.
Bob
debutant
My Cars:

Post by debutant »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shaunthesheep</i>

i've got fulda lineos on my 93' xantia, they seem ok so far, have driven in very wet conditions & have turned corners quickly to see how they grip.
so far i'm impressed with them[:D].
dom
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds very good! [:D] But how did they perform in the quick corners your took?[:o)]
Cheers,
John
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

not bad, didn't slide as expected then to
dom
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I've used Dunlop Sport 300's (or 200's) on my xantia for the past 3 years.
I find they give good grip in all conditions, wear well and aren't as expensive as michelins etc.
mipster