STP Cleaners!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ref

STP Cleaners!!

Post by Ref »

Was thinking to give the xant a treat since i'm planning on full service once the weather gets better so did anyone us injector/fuel/gas cleaners and got results out of it or is it a waste of time?!
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Im guessing you mean fuel system cleaners?

Then yes, I do use them with good results.

I only use Forte products, they do a diesel fuel system cleaner and two for petrols. gas treatment and injector cleaner.

Ive got two bottles of the stuff in my tank of fuel now, as its coming up to a service which is when i usually stick them in.

If its not had one in before then putting it in with limited fuel and going for a good thrash will/should get results.

Though I cant say for any other makes, that is what i would recommend.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Ref

Post by Ref »

Citroenmad wrote:Im guessing you mean fuel system cleaners?

Then yes, I do use them with good results.

I only use Forte products, they do a diesel fuel system cleaner and two for petrols. gas treatment and injector cleaner.

Ive got two bottles of the stuff in my tank of fuel now, as its coming up to a service which is when i usually stick them in.

If its not had one in before then putting it in with limited fuel and going for a good thrash will/should get results.

Though I cant say for any other makes, that is what i would recommend.
yep it's what i meant but have't seen forte around here, fuel system cleaner or injector cleaners witch's better? do you mean you use them before or after service?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

These types of cleaner have a very subtle result usually. If there is a noticeable change on one tankful, you have a more significant problem than a little excess carbon or fuel varnish.

Rather than viewing them as an "event" it might be worth imagining them to be like vitamins; something used regularly for preserving best condition.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: Rather than viewing them as an "event" it might be worth imagining them to be like vitamins; something used regularly for preserving best condition.
I like that analogy Adam, very good :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

addo wrote:

Rather than viewing them as an "event" it might be worth imagining them to be like vitamins; something used regularly for preserving best condition.
Yes, that is how i use them, though as mine is nearing a service ive stuck some in, usually every 3 months or so.

However, adding them more frequently and you might as well get a fuel additive, like proma, which you use on every tank. Slightly different cleaning properties though.

The Forte stuff at least does work well. The results are often marginal if the car is running well, but you would be very surprised in some cases. Often in petrol cars it restores compression, even if it feels ok, it should get better.
Last edited by Citroenmad on 07 Dec 2010, 10:19, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

In my experience with the diesel injector cleaners the results can be quite dramatic, if the car has been 'driven carefully' for a substantial amount of time, some diesel injector cleaner and some Italian tuning can make a world of difference.
Never noticed any difference when using petrol injector cleaners, but as has been said maybe its a far more subtle preventative treatment.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Ref

Post by Ref »

addo wrote:These types of cleaner have a very subtle result usually. If there is a noticeable change on one tankful, you have a more significant problem than a little excess carbon or fuel varnish.

thank you very much that was very useful.