C5 EXCLUSIVE SE HPI - Anti Pollution Fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrvard
My Cars:

Post by mrvard »

Hi, I have a well looked after C5 from new with about 30k on the clock. I now have the obligatory 'Anti Pollution Fault' and have had it in 2 garages. The most recent replaced the fuel pressure sensor (part 1920CJ). The car still has the same fault but I have been taking it out on short journeys (2 miles) without a problem so far.

I am no expert with cars but not afraid to try things myself if there is guidance. However, I am not sure where to start with this apart from finding someone with a Lexia diagnostic tool.

Can anyone help me avoid spending a fortune on a car that isn't worth anything to anyone else. It was a great car before this happened and I can't afford to start again

Thanks
Ed
I can't take anymore taxis
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The 2.0 HPi petrol does have its problems, though it doesnt have a FAP filter as the 2.2HDi diesels do - which usually have that warning at some point.

Anti pollution warnings on non 2.2HDis seem to cover a variety of issues.

Though the 2.0 HPi is known for having problems with fueling, such as fuel pumps and injectors failing.

Your best bet would be to find someone with a Lexia and see what codes your car has stored. This would be the quickest and most cost effective way of finding out what is wrong with it.

The thread below details willing Lexia owners locations who might be able to help you with your cars stored fault code. Check who is nearest to you:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=29178
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi Ed, and welcome to the start of C5 troubles. :twisted:

The exhaust gas recirculation electrovalve may stick and not shut properly.
If it’s had the fault only once, it still takes a month to be rid of the fault indication.
It may even just think that it’s had a fault.
Removing the valve for a cleaning squirt is simple.
It lives at the top rear of the thermostat housing.
Beware of the screws and metal gasket escaping.

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mrvard
My Cars:

Post by mrvard »

thanks for your help so far. I had an AA man out on Saturday who plugged in his tool and got a P1113 error. He thinks it is the air temp sensor or the TCU. I am going to look for these spares and try replacing. Any advice on where to source the parts cheaply would be very helpful

Thanks
Ed
beelim

Post by beelim »

Don't bother with the air intake temp sensor. That's a false reading from a non lexia reader.
Follow this link http://www.pikit.co.uk/peugeotmt/psa%20 ... codes.html
P1113 is iat sensor, BUT on the high pressure injection engine it's fuel rail pressure.
I'll bet a hundred quid it's the hp pump or the fuel pressure regulator.
mrvard
My Cars:

Post by mrvard »

Thanks for your message Beelim. I am not sure if you are saying the info on the link is correct?

Is there info on there for the HPi petrol engine? I can't see it anywhere?
I am searching on parts websites for the HP pump and fuel pressure regulator now - do you have any advice where to look? Also, do you know how long this might take on labour?

Regards
Ed
beelim

Post by beelim »

Labour for the regulator takes me an hour so less in an honest mechanics.
the pump takes me about half an hour. See pm.
birstall

Post by birstall »

Ed

I had the same fault code earlier this year.
It was fixed by fitting a new HP pump.
I fitted the pump myself in less that an hour so it shouldn't be a problem for a good mechanic.
My recommendations:
Purchase a new pump from an authorised dealer.
Don't bother with a second hand pump.
Try several dealers and ask for a discount.
Go for the one with the best price.

Reservations:
You may also have to replace the LP pump.

I fitted both pumps and am now getting an average fuel consumption of 31mpg compared to 28 mpg before the change (bear in mind that mine is the estate version).

Cheers

Pete
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD
mrvard
My Cars:

Post by mrvard »

Happy New year to you all. The Citroen garage now have the car and have come back with the HP pump or pressure regulator. They said that they still couldn't make a correct diagnosis so they didn't want to be in a position to stomach the costs of the parts and labour if they don't fix the problem.

They have quoted 656 for supply and fit of pump and 288 for supply and fit of pressure regulator.

As these were the ones that you suggested above I am inclined to go for it. Let me know if you have a better suggestion

Thanks!
Ed
beelim

Post by beelim »

Hello again Ed.
Go with the pump. the chances of both being to blame are slim. The price is high though. Here in Ireland its only 540 euro. Fitting is very simple .
There are 2 pipes to disconnect and one of them just clips off. the other has a nut to remove .
The pump is removed by loosening 3 nuts .the new pump slides on and you reconnect the wiring which cannot physically be done incorrectly.
mrvard
My Cars:

Post by mrvard »

thanks Beelim
sounds easy enough. Where is this pump located? Is it easily accessible?
Also, once fitted do I ned to clear all the error codes? I don't have anything to do this with so might need a garage to help?

Thanks again for your support
Regards
Ed
beelim

Post by beelim »

As you look into the engine bay, it's on the right hand side at the top of the engine block. It's the size of a peach and should have a Siemens sticker on the end of it. How much is the part without fitting.
Maybe get them to fit it as they'll clear the error codes when finished.
I had to do it all myself as the engine was never sold in Ireland and citroen wouldnt touch it as they weren't trained on it.
birstall

Post by birstall »

Ed

You can only buy this part (HP pump) from a Citroen dealer.

I suspect this is why it has such an inflated price - they must be making a stonking profit whenever they sell one.

However, there is a bit of competition between individual dealers and you should have a good crack at bargaining one against another. Believe me, they will come down on price if you have a go with their parts departments direct if they realise they're in competition with another dealer for the sale.

The part is entirely mechanical and fairly easy to fit. I had to remove an additional bracket when fitting mine to be able to get full access to the fixings so this adds a bit to the time but relatively easy to figure out.

My only concern is that you only have 30,000 on the clock. Since the part is entirely mechanical, this seems like a very low mileage to have to replace the part, but maybe others can give an opinion on this?

I've also heard that if the LP pump does not deliver enough fuel pressure to the fuel rail, this prevents the HP pump from operating properly. At least if you know this before you start the work you can make an informed decision rather than finding out later.

Cheers

Pete
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD
beelim

Post by beelim »

Hi ed , Might be your lucky day.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-C5-HPI-HI ... 4cf4481c90
My only concern is that it says continental on the side and mine says siemens. Looks identical though.