Xantia suspension noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jvwykes
My Cars:

Xantia suspension noise

Post by jvwykes »

My Xantia HDi has recently started making a strange noise. When I start the car it rises as normal, with no strange noises.
At work there are several speed bumps in the car park. As I slowly drive over the bumps I hear a strange 'sqelching' noise and it feels as if the under tray scrapes the bump. After a few hundred yards, no more noise.

Suspension doesn't feel hard or bounce down the road.

Any one got ideas of what this could be, strut failure maybe?

Checked the NS strut and there is fluid weeping from the top.

regards

James
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi James, welcome to the forum :D

Is the fluid leaking from the top and collecting inside the gaiter?

If so then it would suggest the strut is very worn. This is a relatively unusual failure and normally they give very little trouble. The piston rod should be bone dry and in fact is so prone to being dry that they need external lubrication to keep them working smoothly; the front struts are the only hydrauklic items that are not self lubricating through small amounts of leakage so if the rod and gaiter is wet then the strut is bad.

I have a couple of duff struts here and the chrome on the piston rod wears at very high mileages. Also if the gaiter has been down for some while, exposing the piston rod, abrasive dirt can score it, causing leakage.

The normal giveaway that the strut is bad is that the front sinks very quickly when the engine is off.

The struts are not serviceable and will need replacing. Be aware that hydractive and non-hydractive struts are different.

A good strut can often be obtained from a breakers. As long as the rod is dry them it'll be good. Be aware too that they will be "handed".
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...