Odd lopsided Xantia heater fault.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David W
My Cars:

Odd lopsided Xantia heater fault.

Post by David W »

About 2yrs ago I sold my 1999 Xantia SX TD estate to folks in our village. By chance a year earlier Dad sold the same family his 1998 LX TD.... so they have a his and hers.

Not spoken to them for ages but yesterday they mentioned both cars had the same fault which was making this cold weather a real problem.

The heaters have no (or minimal) heat output to the passenger side footwell. They say all the other vents are OK. I've asked them to tell me if there is no air movement at all in the pass footwell or if it's that there is air but it's cold.

Neither of these cars had split pass/driver heat selection (as in the C5 climate) as far as I can remember.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Also I've forgotten but would these Xantias have pollen filters... if so are they fitted near the fan just above the pass feet?

David
2009 C5 HDi VTR+Nav Tourer
2006 C3 HDi Desire
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I would guess they all have pollen filters, regardless of A/C being fitted or not. 406's (in 90% of cars without A/C) still have a pollen filter, the others just have a plastic mesh to take the space up.

Regarding the heater issue, it sounds like a cable or part thereof or the flap itself on that side of the outlet has become detached or broken.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Xantias only have a pollen filter if A/C is fitted. It is fitted in the blower housing above the passenger's feet.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Ah thanks for that. As I suspect both these cars will have pollen filters at least 3yrs old I wondered if the airflow is very restricted perhaps the pass side footwell suffers first?

Also I wonder if the heater duct outlets are open ended in the footwell controlled by a central flap of it each side has a flap??
2006 C3 HDi Desire
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Seems to be a common problem with a lot of cars, not no heat output but poor heat output. I have just bought a 406, plenty of heat at dasboard level but very little in the footwells. Try shutting all the dash vents and see if it improves.

Peter
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I think I'll have to ask them to bring the cars round and start with checking the pollen filters then look for obvious problems with blocked or displaced ducts. Also bleed cooling system to check for trapped air.
2006 C3 HDi Desire