Dispatch speedometer not working. Can anyone help?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

joyfulnosaj

Dispatch speedometer not working. Can anyone help?

Post by joyfulnosaj »

The speedometer on my 2002 Dispatch HDi has stopped working. The backlight on the Odometer was not working when I bought the van. It seems a common problem, but naybe one of the bulbs in the box.

Anyway, I took out the panel and it is all plugged in ok. Did not want to open up in case of creating more problems (The fuel guage, clock and water temperature all seem to work and loads of lights come and go at start up).

Anyway, the speedo is clearly electronic. Where Might I be able to locate the sensor to see if there is a fault. If so is it easy to find/replace and not too expensive?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the usual fault is down to either a bad conection on the transducer or the transducer its self,

this is located on the top of the O/S diff output (UK drivers side),

were a speedo cable would normaly plug into the gear box,

regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Have you checked all the fuses ?
Does the mileometer still count up miles as you drive ?
joyfulnosaj

Post by joyfulnosaj »

Wheeler, cant read the mileometer to check as it is not lit up. Can I change the bulb for this?
khand
My Cars:

Post by khand »

The electronic speedo in my Synergie packed up recently. I believe the vehicles are closely related. In my circumstance, the miles were still counting up, but the pointer developed a mind of its own, finally coming to rest a the bottom of the scale and stopping there. This transpired to be the stepper motor assembly which drives the pointer. I finished up getting one from a scrapyard, which was actually in a 306 with a similar but not identical JAGER instrument cluster. If this sounds similar to your situation, points to note. The cluster is one of the easiest to remove I have worked on. The odometer bulb is easily replaceable with access to the rear of the cluster (1.2W white body twist in sort IIRC). Change all and any of the bulbs which either don't work or have a decided black tinge. It is annoying to have to take a cluster out a few weeks later to change another bulb. The steppers are not too difficult, the secret is (was in my case) realising that the ears on the side of the stepper assembly body are actually not solid but are two 'tangs' which almost meet on. The pointer on mine just pulled off, but was rather firmly attached. If you end up taking the electronics board off the main (white??) plastic 'body' of the cluster, be ever so careful not to rip off/damage the flexible printed circuit which joins the electronics to the LCD (the little bit of glass stuff which is the numeric display). Be careful not to drop any of the bits of the Press to Reset / Show Trip mileage prodder thing. Something out of mine disappeared and I can't show trip mileage now (or reset the spanner when the time comes). If you'd like a photo of a stepper assembly let me know and I'll try and get a pic.
regards
Kevin
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Kevin,

""The cluster is one of the easiest to remove I have worked on""

I WISH!!

How did you get the cluster out of your dash. I removed the 2 ( or 3? ) visible screws but could not free-up the right hand side or bottom of the cluster to remove it. Are there some clips that I should be aware of? If so how do I detatch them??

Thanks

Gammy
2000 Synergie 1.9Td