CD player not working-fix or replace? (DAB considerations?)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xsara 2.0HDi 90

CD player not working-fix or replace? (DAB considerations?)

Post by dave_xsara »

The CD player on my Xsara is also messed up at the minute - I've tried cleaning the lens with the cleaning solution and CD's but this works only for about one day.

Is there anything else I can do?

Obviously, I can buy a replacement radio unit but as DAB is coming in at the end of next year I think I'd want to replace it with a DAB unit.

However, my knowledge of DAB is quite low. Is this going to be a full switch over from analogue to digital? Will there be no analogue stations in existance which my car radio can pick up?

Does Citroen make replacement units which are DAB compliant and if so are they expensive?

Cheers.
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I'm not enthusiastic about DAB for car listening, it's going to suffer from breakup, like when there's a glitch on a digital TV broadcast, the picture and sound is lost, instead of like on an analogue signal there is just a bit more noise, so there will be a total, momentary loss of sound. That would annoy the hell out of me !
There is nothing wrong with FM apart from bandwidth issues for broadcasters.
FM will be with us for some while as there are many listeners who will just not want to cough up for a new car radio, as well as home radio and digital TV. Cars not made with DAB will need a new aerial too.
As far as I'm concerned it's just another wallet dipping exercise by the government, we should have been asked whether we wanted this or not.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

This kind of thing is indeed infuriating. Any one using wireless mics and other audio based RF systems will soon be having the huge cost of replacing all their equipment due to band reallocation. Imagine every broadcaster and entertainment venue having to replace all their kit, that's a big wedge in some ones pocket :evil:

http://www.gbaudio.co.uk/radio.htm
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

I used my portable DAB radio on my recent runs up from the Sussex coast to Sheffield, 224miles and it only lost the signal once going through the Dartford tunnel. The rest of the time it was perfect. For most of the time I didn't even need the aerial extended. It also has the option of tuning into FM stations if needed.

Or you could try one of these

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Pure_Digi ... r__6837555

Gammy
2000 Synergie 1.9Td