Dispacth Heater not getting hot, just slightly warm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im not familiar with the HDI lump, but usualy if you follow the top rad hose back the the engine it is attatched to the thermostat houseing, quite offten by two or three 10mm (spanner size) bolt's,

you will need to just top up the coolant (depending on how quike you are) to how much by :lol: '

is that price for an OE one and have you enquired at a motor factors for the stat,

regards malcolm
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

this is the right way to see if the thermostat is stuck open

1. run the engine with the vehicle stationary until it's warm. Make sure that the engine cooling fan isn't running and there isn't a gale blowing through the front (like park it up against a wall or something.

With no air going through the radiator, the engine will get hot, whether the thermostat is working or not. The heat has to go somewhere.

2. once the engine is hot go for a drive on a fast road. If the thermostat is kippered (edited after Citronut's comment: stuck open would be more exact) then the engine will go cold again. If the thermostat is working the engine will stay hot.

On the other hand, if the engine is hot but the interior heater doesn't heat the interior then you have
a: no coolant going through the heater matrix (look for an airlock in the system, open bleed screws to get air out)
b: the dash control isn't working
Last edited by dieselnutjob on 01 Dec 2010, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

If the thermostat is kippered and stuck shut the engine will over heat and probably fry the head gasket, in this case the engine will not cool down,

regards malcolm
joyfulnosaj

Post by joyfulnosaj »

From the comments above, possibly:

1) stuck open. Needs replacing. There is some sort of metal casing where the hose goes into the engine, I presume this is where the thermostat is. There seem to be some bolts on top. Presumably I undo this and fit replacment. Is there a gasket, will it reseal ok?

2) There might be some airlocks. The hoses (to the engine from the radiator and to the fan inside) do get warm. So maybe no airlock. Where might any bleed valves be?
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

unfortunately there is no Haynes manual for the Dispatch / 806 / Ulysse.

Personally I bought one for a late 406 (make sure it covers HDI) and it has served me well for working on my 806. The engine and transmission are the same provided yours is the 8 valve engine.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you post the last 8 ndigits of your chassis/VIN No. i will look on service citroen,

also there are usualy bleed valve's on the thermostat houseing, heater hose's were they come/go in out of the bulk head/cab,

have you felt the heater hose's at the bulk head??? yet whilst the engine is getting hotter,

regards malcolm
joyfulnosaj

Post by joyfulnosaj »

Malcolm VIN: 12974015

Hose into the bulkhead does warm up, but is not too hot, although I have not tried after a long drive. Hopefully will do over the weekend to see if it is any better.

I see that there are thermostats for between £6 - £10 on the internet.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the correct OE thermostat for you van is price and part No.

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000133823 THERMOSTAT 16.00 GBP 18.80 GBP 18.80 GBP

also its not very clear were/if there are any other bleed screws when looking at the exploded diagrams on service citroen,

appart from one on the back of the thermostat houseing which im sure it will be a brass allan screw type,

regards malcolm
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

A Workshop Manual for the Dispatch/Expert/Scudo is available from PETER RUSSEK MANUALS,
You can have mine for £8 + p&p at cost if u like, 't's as new! :twisted:
The world is full of them and a lot are in
joyfulnosaj

Post by joyfulnosaj »

citronut wrote:the correct OE thermostat for you van is price and part No.

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000133823 THERMOSTAT 16.00 GBP 18.80 GBP 18.80 GBP

also its not very clear were/if there are any other bleed screws when looking at the exploded diagrams on service Citroën,

appart from one on the back of the thermostat houseing which im sure it will be a brass allan screw type,

regards malcolm

Yes, just found brass bleed screw on the top of the housing. No others evident on the pipes going into bulkhead.

Do I try to blled this screw when the engine is hot and running?
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

I think safer to do it when it's cold
just open it until water comes out and close it again (like on a central heating radiator)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i usualy release this valve whilst re/filling the cooling system, i find if coolant dise not come out here by just topping the header tank up, i start the engine at this point as this helps the coolant through,

regards malcolm