Xantia 98 Hydraulic Oil Leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

demon1

Xantia 98 Hydraulic Oil Leak

Post by demon1 »

I have a Xantia 98 which has suddenly started to leak the Hydraulic oil, it has not as yet affected the brakes but has affected the steering, i have looked under the bonnet & have noticed a leak comming from a small unti under the reservoir, as you can tell i am no mechanic, but is there a fix for this?

Demon1
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome to the Forum Demon1 :D

It sounds like the front anti-sink valve is leaking. This is a small tubular component with a number of pipes sprouting from it. It has a black round cap on each end and under these is an O ring.

Normally, replacement of the O ring does the trick. I've never done it so cannot offer any great advice but many on here have and someone should be able to fill in the details.

The only other unit under the reservoir is the security valve but this one rarely leaks.

Depending on where you are, a word with Pleiades may be the best way to resolve this issue.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

As an adjunct to Jim's comments - top up the LHM immediately. Any half-baked parts supplier should have a brand or two on the shelf.

When you're down to no PAS it's not far off losing brakes too. You're better leaving a trail of drips for a day, than wasting an otherwise decent car in a crash.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

You might even find that the end cap of the anti-sink valve is loose, and just needs tightening; a spot of Loctite doesn't go amiss. If you do have to replace the O-ring, make sure that the replacement's resistant to LHM - those supplied in generic kits of rings often are not.