Cable going into alarm ECU

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Cable going into alarm ECU

Post by Dommo »

Hi all

On the alarm ECU in my VSX there is a lone wire that comes out of the main loom going into the ECU, that has a single in-line connector, which isn't connected in my VSX, or an SX in my local scrappers - both have tow-bars if this is related in any way?

Does anyone know what it does and why it might be disconnected?

Cheers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If on a MK1, Ive seen the connector and not really worried about it. I believe it's an earth and used only with heated electric leather seats... There are many spare bits of loom running around a Xantia...

If it has a number on the wire, I can tell you exactly. If the number begins M (for merde) then it's an earth.

If everything works, I'd not worry. Nothing to do with a towbar. All the factory wiring for that is in the boot...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

CJ - did I understood right? do you suggest that there is a prepared connection for towbar electrics? could you please guide me where it can be found since on my 2001 xant I didn't found any of it and I've connected the towbar socket to the rear lamps.
thanx.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

atr wrote:CJ - did I understood right? do you suggest that there is a prepared connection for towbar electrics?
There is on my MK1 Activa. I noticed it purely by accident when I had by boot carpet out the other day. The towbar wiring is neatly plugged into a socket on the RH rear inner wing by the air vent box and there's not a Scotchlok to be seen.

I'm not sure if this is universal or present in the MK2. I've not consciously seen reference to it in wiring diagrams. I'll have a look later...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's extant on the Series II cars.

The cretins who did much of the "service" to mine would have been incapable of adding connectors so neatly as they are found. There are plugs inside the cases of each rear quarter.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Strange, why would it be heated seat related if it's going in the alarm ECU?

It does start with an M though, and reconnecting the two connectors seems to make no difference.. Very odd!

Thanks.
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

My MK1 LX has this wire too, I'm guessing the wiring loom in question is basically a universal wiring loom used across the Xantia range (easier & cheaper for citroen to produce/make one loom type to suit all models rather than several different ones), if this wire is for the seat then it's simply an unused earth, if you had a bit of a root around you'd find a few 'unused' wires/connectors throughout the car.
Music keeps me going.