Which clutch kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Synergietom
My Cars:

Which clutch kit

Post by Synergietom »

Hi all as you probably allready know i recently past my beloved xantia onto my daughter hwo then sold it to a freind ( Not happy ) i have recently been informed that it needs a new clutch and hve been quoted 295 quid to do the job ( even less happy ) so iset about looking for a kit to fit myself as im not happy with them hving to pay those prices however i cant seem to find anyone selling a reasonably priced kit without needing the engine code so can anyone help pls its a 96 1.9TD ive found one at euro car parts for £ 63.45 but as i said i cant guarantee its the right one as i dont know the engine code.
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you give ECP your reg they will tell you what clutch kit you need,

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

£295 sounds quite reasonable, they want nearly £1000 to do an XM :shock:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:£295 sounds quite reasonable, they want nearly £1000 to do an XM :shock:
How much Peter :shock: That's a special gold-plated one is it?

I agree £295 is not too bad given the cost of a decent clutch kit and the amount of work needing doing but I'm sure if you shop around the small Indies with a good local reputation you'll be able to do better Tom.

Can you do it yourself? It's well in the remit of DIY and there's a good few words about it on here...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

2 weeks ago I would have done your clutch for £100 + parts but I've just lost my workshop facilities :cry:
Well, not quite lost them but my M8 has moved his racing team to near Banbury so I will now have to travel 60 miles each way when I need to work on my Xantia and it's pretty much put work for others out of the question :?
Last edited by HDI on 27 Nov 2010, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

You should be able to find a code on the Bulkhead (under the bonnet) on the right hand side facing the windscreen. This should be adequate.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's only 1 type of clutch for all 1.9TD Xantias (although the later 1.9SD which are turbo with the intercooler use a different on). Provided it is the clutch with the release bearing attached to the pressure plate, then it is he right one.

If it's ECP part no 641545051 then it's the right one. Your engine code will be DHX or Y most probably.
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No, sorry Jim, that was a head gasket :oops: :oops:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:No, sorry Jim, that was a head gasket :oops: :oops:
Ahh, that's better Peter. :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My mate's had quotes in that region for he clutch on his C5 2.0 HDi 136. But the clutch is a self adjusting one (which needs special tools to fit - do a google on LUK self adjusting clutches and be afraid for the future!), and the DMF needs replacing - the parts are over £500 at factor prices (I think he's found them for about £400 on line). Factor in 8 hours of garage labour and HMRCs share, and bingo, a four figure bill. Ouch. It's only done 85k as well! We might well be getting accquainted with the inside of a C5 engine bay during the Chrimbo holidays....
Richard W
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

Thanks for the replies guys jim i can do it myself but i didnt really fancy lying on my back in this cold weather but it looks like ive got no choice now ill just have to get on with it after xmas now.
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you could always add the clutch kit to your christmas list :lol:

regards malcolm
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

RichardW wrote:My mate's had quotes in that region for he clutch on his C5 2.0 HDi 136. But the clutch is a self adjusting one (which needs special tools to fit - do a google on LUK self adjusting clutches and be afraid for the future!), and the DMF needs replacing - the parts are over £500 at factor prices (I think he's found them for about £400 on line). Factor in 8 hours of garage labour and HMRCs share, and bingo, a four figure bill. Ouch. It's only done 85k as well! We might well be getting accquainted with the inside of a C5 engine bay during the Chrimbo holidays....
LUK self adjusting clutches, yet another load of money spinning nonsense. These are also fitted to transits post-2000 and I have read the official fitting instructions. Read then ignored, the clutches work perectly, last perfectly without using this 'special fitting tool'.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I think a dealer price for a clutch on a 2.5 XM is quite high.

Steve.
not applicable