ZX Turbo's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andyg

ZX Turbo's

Post by andyg »

From new, the ZX TD came equiped with either the Garrett Turbo or the KKK Turbo. Now apart from the wastegate been adjustable on the Garrett but not on the KKK, what are the pro's and con's to owning each[?]
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Dunno?? How do you tell the difference without actually inspecting the turbo for it's markings? It's damn tight to get to.
Guru Meditation
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

With the Garrett there is a VERY clear wastegate arm on the outside of the turbo. On the KKK this is contained. hence its easy to assess which is which. BUT the KKK is supposedly the easier of the two to adjust!!
have a read of this;
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ken.waters ... ng/306.htm
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

The kkk turbocharger has a straight hose connection from the side, and an elbow connection which needs to go on the top, making both hoses point to the right hand side of the car. These are secured using jubilee clips.
The Garrett turbocharger has a straight host connection from the side, but the top hose is a moulded one-piece to the intercooler, compltete with rubber seals, which sits inside a casting in the top of the turbo, and is secured using bolts.
As mentioned before, the Garrett has a more obvious wastegate.
andyg

Post by andyg »

Thanks for messages so far but what i am really after i suppose is - which one is best?
I am in the middle of rebuilding my ZXTD engine and have both turbo's available to me to drop on.
It may be down to personal choice or preference, or someone may know that out of the two - one of them is a bag of nails!
If one is better than the other - then i would want to be fitting that one[:)]
Andy.
Jon

Post by Jon »

For me, the quick ones were always the ones with a Bosch pump and a Garrett turbo, especially if you can find a 93 car so equipped (they're the ones where the Turbo whistles a lot) but seem to go much better.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Just to add to that, I was working at a Citroen delaer in 1994, and a few people with ZX TD's purchased new came in and complained that their car whistled excessively. Some turbo's were changed under warranty, always Garrett ones. But any Garrett equipped ZX TD always went like a train, I'm certainly prepared to put up with the whistling.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I can confirm that my new-turbo'd Xantia TD ( was KKK, now Garrett ) is a totally different beast, much more flexible, and slightly noisier. Going to have to adjust the smoke screw on the pump though !
But then that might be because the old turbo was buggered !