Rev Counter and Heater Question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
My rev counter on this S2 Xantia TD is acting up. It is working fine one minute then the needle just goes to zero, then in a few seconds working again. Happening more and more often. Any ideas anyone please.?

Can the heat control flap be GOT AT to pull it on or off by hand, instead of electrically moved.? Another design lash up.

This car is colder than a well diggers backside, always has been. If I have to punch a ruddy great hole in the side of the heater box to get at it I will. Gaffer tape is good at filling over holes .
Greg
PS. Just bought an 02 Hyundia Accent MVi from a mate---with a great heater. Still full of unecessary useless electrical crap though. :o

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Greg

Your speedo problem will probably either be a faulty sensor on the gearbox or its connector, or a dry joint on the instrument panel.

Don't know about the Xantia heater flap but on the XM it can be accessed by removing the glove box.

Wouldn't have appreciated your remark about 'a well diggers backside' until we refurbished ours last year :D

Peter
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Mines (tacho) doing this too. It will get worse although it might actually behave for a few months.

This guide may help you > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=33023 ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi Greg,

The heater flap motor can be seen at the bottom front of the centre console on the passenger’s side.
There are two awkward screws to take it out.
The spline fits into the centre of the heater flap lever.
The end of the lever has a hole to operate it with a piece of coat hanger. :twisted:

My Xantia has been very good, and I’m looking forward to getting rid of the C5 because it’s just a barge full of frills.
I’ll replace it with a basic car built for the peasants. :twisted:

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... atcont.htm

Image Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Greg, have you checked the pollen filter is not blocked? It makes a difference...

Does the car start warm and then cool?

Have you checked the little fan in the cabin air temperature sensor (behind the grille on the dash below the centre vents).

A duff sensor can cause the aircon ECU to believe the cabin is stonkingly hot and turn the heat down.

There's about four sensors and any can give this problem. If all else fails, have a Lexia session. This can read the sensors and motor the flap to check it is working as it should.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Thanks for replies.
Cloggz- your post is exactly what I wanted to hear. Coathanger wire could be the bees knees here--retro and definitive design.
:D
Jim- Pollen filter is recent. Car starts at freezing and gets colder lol.
Some lukewarm air is present after about 8 miles, or when I am nearly home or just getting to work.
What can I do to the little fan thing behind the grille in the dash.? I don't live anywhere near someone with a Lexia. Do you know where the other sensors are fitted on the car?. The aircon is not charged up- not since I have had the car. I can't hear anything when aircon is switched on when engine running, so assume system is naff.
Thanks,
Greg

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Greg, just check the little fan is spinning behind the grille. Usually, you can see it with the aid of a torch. It should run all the time the ignition is on...

Sensors are in the cold air inlet, in the middle of the heater box and down by the floor exits.

All are hard to access and can only be properly tested with a Lexia really.

Is there plenty of heat in the matrix hoses? Is there lots of hot water flowing through the matrix?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Jim,
Would that grill be the one just left of the clock. If so, I can't hear the fan behind it spin, nor did it protest when I inserted an opened out paperclip.
Can you change them, -I take it you can get at it by removing the radio?.
There is no-one with a lexia near me, and the local Cit and independants garages near me want £70+ to put car on machine- with little interest.
Thanks for your help
Greg

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

This sounds more like LACK of hot water running through the heater rather then the flap misbehaving!!

Id give the Heater matrix a DAMM good blast through with a power hose! Another way to tell how much water is flowing through the matrix is to undo the Bleed cap on the heater outlet under the bonnet, its damm awkward to get at on later cars, but if you take that off with the engine running there should be a GOOD STRONG flow comming out... If theres none or a trickle then the matrix needs a blast through, more so, an indication of head gasket blockage....

Personally, Ive not had a problem with electric heater flaps, but thats not to say there is not one...

As for rev counter, on Spiders 205, theres a sensor on the side of the gearbox above the driveshaft, accessable from underneath, though on yours theres a flywheel sensor on top of the gearbox up against the head, check it for cleaness, when the rev counter stops, does the engine sound rather clattery???

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto