stiff steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: stiff steering

Post by Xaccers »

boeingmech wrote:Has anyone experienced stiff steering in the cold weather? My Xantia 1.9td power steering is very stiff when cold but after running for a while or driving a mile or so it loosens up, I have checked tyres and hydraulic level and all is OK
When I took Juliet to Pleiades and mentioned to them her power steering was stiff at low revs, they asked if it was only first thing in the morning when it's cold as the lhm thickens when chilled.
In her case it's most likely a weak pump, as it happens all the time when idling, but in Cassy's case when it's freezing like now, her steering is stiff until it warms up.
I wonder if some of our Scandinavian members could comment on what theirs is like.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

addo wrote:Let me guess - you've got a pint of LHM soaking the firewall soundproofing and front carpet? :x
?! I hope not! You've got me worried now :shock:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Ref

Post by Ref »

Xac wrote:I wonder if some of our Scandinavian members could comment on what theirs is like.
as i spend at least 5 to 10 minutes scratching the windshield and defrosting the ice while the engine's running i rarely run into this and my LHM should be changed as it's getting yellow but sometimes it feels a bit heavy when i park for few minutes but it doesn't take long until it goes away!
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

boeingmech wrote:Has anyone experienced stiff steering in the cold weather?...
My answer to the post was based on:
- Cold weather and stiff steering which was cured on its after some short drive (No problems when it was warm, I guess).

If a Xantia owner living in Scandianvia uses "normal" LHM, latest during the first subzero degrees, he would notice that he has stiff steering and in addition his Xantia's ride is like a tractor ride on a field :roll: :lol:

LHM + on the other hand might give stiff steering at -25°C and below and at -30°C and below it would take a bit longer (approx. +300m) to have the comfortable ride.
Keep also in mind that the cars are plugged to electric heaters during winter.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

red_dwarfers wrote:I looked into mine today after I had very little/no power steering. The float on the LHM tank was between the two marks at normal ride height, a bit concerning!
Around 300ml later and bleeding the PAS and suspension we are alright again. Something to keep an eye on :lol:
Had another quick investigation today when I again had little/no PAS today and it turns out that I had failed to clip on one of those funny jubilee clip things that can be a nightmare to clip together if you don't have the pukka tool! I do remember saying to myself when I last had need to take those pipes off the top of the LHM tank a few months ago that I would replace them with jubilee clips, seems I forgot :oops:
So yeah, it was air in the feed pipe all along!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Good work. I have two pairs of modified endcutters (different sizes), ground flush somewhat like the picture below:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_su ... es#details

You also need to relief grind the back bevel with Dremel or similar. Makes it really easy to squeeze the clip shut; then just tap it home with the side of the tool or any other walloping device to hand.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

I had this problem on sunday when I went to drop the car over to get its coolant problem fixed. The red light went out, the suspension came up and I went to reverse out of the drive. Jeez that steering is heavy without help. Managed to get it out of the (slopey) drive and hit the brakes. Didn't feel right either. Drove around the corner and decided I couldn't carry on like this, so stopped, did a small amount of Citrobics (down to bottom and then back to normal height) and it was fine. Fine ever since.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Cold weather should not equate to stiff steering. I've never suffered it on any of mine but then in freezing weather I tend to start up and let the car warm for the time (at least) it takes to drink a warm cup of tea and scrape the windows.

The one major characteristic of LHM is that it has a very high viscosity index which means it's viscosity (thickness) changes very little from very cold to very hot. Also, slightly thicker LHM should make things work a bit better if anything.

I believe the problem, if not down to a slack or worn drive belt, is that of slight wear in the pump. When cold the clearances between the pistons and their bores will be increased. Let the pump warm a bit and these clearances reduce and pumping efficiency improves. Throw tired delivery valve springs into the mix and that'll be it.

LT71141 as an LHM substitute Adam? Now theres interesting. I see no problem as again it has a high VI and has no friction modifiers like DEXRON so it should function well in the hydraulics. After all, an autobox valve block is not dissimilar to Citroen hydraulics and even pressure is regulated in a similar way. It's just a bit expensive...

Given that it's a bit thicker, if the hydraulic pump is a bit tired, it may well go some way to mitigating stiff steering when cold.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Jim, the funny thing is, I pay about $15/litre for LHM Plus or $9/litre for LT71141.

Alan (120L) and I went halves on a 20 litre drum of trans fluid a few months back.

:?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Jim, the funny thing is, I pay about $15/litre for LHM Plus or $9/litre for LT71141.
Tell you what, we'll supply you with LHM if you'll supply us with LT71141 Adam :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you left the LT in the system or have you now flushed it out?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are you accusing me of being casual? :rofl:

I'm on 178K (kilometres) and have earmarked 185K or thereabouts for Hydraflush. Can't see it doing too much harm inbetweentimes (maybe two months, maybe less).