stiff steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boeingmech

stiff steering

Post by boeingmech »

Has anyone experienced stiff steering in the cold weather? My xantia 1.9td power steering is very stiff when cold but after running for a while or driving a mile or so it loosens up, I have checked tyres and hydraulic level and all is OK
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check the tension on the hydraulic pump drive belt.
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

Oddly my suspension & braking has been feeling like that first thing in the morning this past (cold) week, i just put it down to the nature of the fluid (LHM). I'm actually in my first year/winter of citroen ownership (despite 13+ years of working for them) so I'm slightly unaccustomed to driving such a car early in the morning, in the evenings (after work) the car's usually fine so right now I'm not so bothered although i do need the rear 'pressure' sphere (forgot actual name :oops: ) changing soon but thats another story. (car suspension drops on start up & brakes are initially slightly weak), maybe i'll check the filter & fluid condition at some point (ie when i can be ars3d :lol: )
Music keeps me going.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Old LHM + dirty filters + Cold weather + old tired pump = stiff steering.

At least the later Xantias don't have FDVs which, when combined with the above lead to on/off power steering on cold mornings. Which is interesting!
Richard W
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've started noticing this, sorts itself out after a couple of minutes though.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

used to get this, dont anymore though, ive just been out this evening shopping in 0c and the steering was spot on :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The load on the hydraulic pump is very high in cold weather and can make a slightly under tensioned belt slip, once it starts slipping it gets warm and then grips - worth checking out, its happened to me.

Peter
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I looked into mine today after I had very little/no power steering. The float on the LHM tank was between the two marks at normal ride height, a bit concerning!
Around 300ml later and bleeding the PAS and suspension we are alright again. Something to keep an eye on :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

It cant be a slipping belt, the auto tentioner is VERY strong when in good order... besides, it would squeel... Ridge belts that are on Xantias are far less likley to slip then V belts that the XM used for quite some time.

Ive got this "Heavy" steering problem on this latest Xantia HDi Exclusive, and its the first I hae thats done this.

My 1.9 TD Xantia with 238k is fine, however, she has had another pump fitted, plus hydraflush, plus new LHM in the last 2 years. As for the Xantia HDi I have no idea, my guess is she is over due a hydraflush and new LHM putting in..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: stiff steering

Post by VertVega »

boeingmech wrote:... My Xantia 1.9td power steering is very stiff when cold but after running for a while or driving a mile or so it loosens up, ...
Do you know what type of LHM it has? This symptom sounds like "normal" LHM which tends to become stiff at low temperatures.
It would be perfect in Spain, Italy but now when this unusual cold temperatures in UK (and in Central Europe) nowadays brings
new issues that many drives never had to deal with.
If possible try LHM+ next time which is the right stuff for cold temperatures.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Strangely enough I started the white XM up today for the first time since we had the snow, no hydraulic pressure, no steering and very little in the way of brakes, I drove round the lanes for a couple of miles just to give the battery a bit of a boost, as I was driving back there was a loud intermittent squealing from the engine compartment, yes, the belt was slack.

Its been making a funny noise for sometime which I put down to a noisy tensioner but after tightening the belt it dissapeared, another job done. :D

I take Pauls point though, the XM has a 'V' belt which has to be very tight, the multi groove type belts are far less likely to slip.

Peter
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Good point Peter.N., somehow used to autm. belt tensioner I didn't take into consideration the tensioner factor.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
boeingmech

Post by boeingmech »

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing stiff steering. I am not sure what lhm is in the system but if it needs topping up I use lhm+. When I can get around to it I plan to flush the hydraulics and put new lhm+ in,as for the fan belt, tension is fine
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

red_dwarfers wrote:I looked into mine today after I had very little/no power steering. The float on the LHM tank was between the two marks at normal ride height, a bit concerning!
Let me guess - you've got a pint of LHM soaking the firewall soundproofing and front carpet? :x

Last leak I had, ran out of LHM, Dex II and everything else almost; ended up with 750ml of LT71141 in the mix. :shock:

Returning to the stiff steering, I have to wonder if it's partially bore/seal wear in the ram, or just a tired pump.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Old, dirty LHM and filters would cause the stiff steering. If the fluid is old and filters dirty then it should be changed anyway. So that would be the best place to start trying to fix the stiff steering.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10