auto gearbox?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

laks
My Cars:

auto gearbox?

Post by laks »

Hi Guys,

another question!!!! :oops:

dont know if it's me but my Xantia ('98 1.9td auto sx) seems to hold in lower gears for a bit too long (1st to 2nd). gearchange is smooth but stays in 1st for too long....it doesn't help my tachometer is not working as cant see how many revs it takes (feels about 3000rpm!)

is this a common problem, anyone same experience?

TIA
'98 Xantia TDI auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It (your AL4 autobox) holds the gear based on oil temperature and throttle position in addition to road speed. Naturally, as the weather cools you'll notice it doing this more pronouncedly.

In the winter I start my car twenty minutes before departure, let it run for five-ten (including defrost - important!) then shut down. The heat soaks through it all and as a result defrost is faster, and gearshifts more normal.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

I start my car twenty minutes before departure
Wa-wa ? What car ? :?:
Is that a vintage steam-driven car ? :?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Clogzz wrote:
I start my car twenty minutes before departure
Wa-wa ? What car ? :?:
Is that a vintage steam-driven car ? :?
Good gracious, I never realised it got so cold in Sydney that you needed to do even more than we need to do in Blighty even in the dark depths of winter Adam :shock: :lol: It's not as if you live in Canberra - up there I could understand leaving it running for 20 minutes or so before setting off in the winter...

Back to the original question, yes, as Adam says and remember that the AL4 is auto-adaptive and will learn your driving style to the degree that if it understands you like to press on a bit then it will hold onto gears longer. It will do this when cold on purpose to assist warm-up of the cat and transmission oil and will do it moreso if the sport mode is engaged. You may have sport engaged and be unaware of it...

If the tacho is dead, this may be having an effect on the autobox as it reads engine speed to help determine when to change. A Lexia diagnostic session will be helpful in determining the cause of your dead tacho; I'd get that fixed before anything else...

Whats the mileage on your car now? has this behaviour only just started or has it always been there?

Also, if the car has done a reasonable mileage and you have no record of the transmission fluid being changed, it's not a bad idea to change it. Not a straightforward job as you need to follow a procedure and you must use a Lexia diagnostic machine to ensure the 'box is at the right temperature for level checking and to resent the oil wear counter.

Also, with a Lexia, the auto-adaptive parameters can be reset, allowing the ECU to re-learn the characteristics of the 'box. It might be worth doing to get everything back to normal but fix the tacho first.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I didn't say I run it for twenty minutes before departure! Remember I leave for work rather early in the day, too.

It does get cold here, but it's a clammy cold so things fog up more readily. Having the motor/coolant hot means demisting is readily achieved.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroen did issue a remap download for some auto boxes which can be applied via a Lexia, I did it for my V6 which (Jim now has) this changed the mapping for the gearbox so that it wouldn't hold onto the lower gears for so long just after start-up.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
laks
My Cars:

Post by laks »

Hi Guys

in response to Citro Jim's questions:

I do not have sport mode engaged unless it is a fault, as the 's' light is out.
I have only had car about 2 weeks - has 112k on clock - had most service history till early 2008 and I have changed front spheres the other day, so dont know if always been like this but I seem to notice it.

However when I drove the car back from blackpool to kent, i had just put some diesel in and was heading back on motorway when i seemed to lose all power and the sport and snow lights were flashing on dash, pulled over and turned off, started up again and no problem then or since (not sure if I might have inadvertently had her in 3rd instead of drive so when reaching speed she couldnt cope!)

As f or the tacho, dont know if it's the actual unit - just the dash needle does not work (has dropped to red side and resting on plastic stop there)

I got the post about changing trans fluid and will get this done as soon as i can but prob till not after xmass :(

can you do a 'Lexia diagnostic session' at most citroen garages? how much roughly will it cost?

Thanks everyone (especially Citro Jim)
'98 Xantia TDI auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sport and Snow flashing indicates a fault detected by the ECU. Often on an AL4, this is a malfunction in the multi-function switch, the one that tells the ECU which gear you have selected on the lever. It's quite common and means the switch has detected the lever is in a non-valid position (e.g. between D and 3 say), either because of cable adjustment or a poor contact on the switch.

A Lexia session should be able to read if there are any stored faults in the ECU and this is essential to start fault-finding.

Starting off in third will not cause it. All will happen is the 'box will change up to third and never get to fourth. It will just limit the maximum speed you are able to reach and will not cause the gearbox not to cope.

Try to find a member living locally with a Lexia. A garage will charge handsomely and may not understand what the diagnostics are trying to tell them. The Lexia does not offer any solutions on a plate.

The tacho problem is a common one and the needle just needs nudging back to Zero. It's a result of trying to start up with a discharged battery. Many have succeeded in popping a thin wire through the trip reset hole to nudge the needle back.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
laks
My Cars:

Post by laks »

great advice :D

ill try to find a local member...saw post on map of willing participants! :wink: failing that ill try Medway Citroen

you guys all all stars
'98 Xantia TDI auto