limp home mode at 70mph

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

craigbooth

limp home mode at 70mph

Post by craigbooth »

hi guys,
2003 c5 2.0 sx or lx hdi 157'000 miles
high miles but the car runs sweet the problem i have is that when i get on the local bypass (slightly up hill) and get to apx 70mph the car panics and puts its self in limp home mode it displays no mesages at all just losses all power and sound like it is reving its nuts of at the round a bout at the end of the bypass it will stay in this mode till the car is parked and switched of for a minute or two and then it will be back to normal and as longas i keep the speed /revs down the issue would never crop up but as soon as i get speed up it dies again. this is not intermitant it is every time i get over 70 mph so could do with sorting it out if any one has had same issue i have heard a few different storys about split pipes and air mass sensors etc but i havent read any thing from any one who has fixed the issue . any any one help me ???
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

More or less certain to be a turbo overboost problem. Had the same problem on my Xantia and it turned out to be the boost pressure sensor. This was after I investigated all the other suggestions for the problem. It could also be leaking boost pipes though so you will need to check those.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
craigbooth

Post by craigbooth »

i didnt think the 2.0 hdi had a turbo it certainly feels like there is no turbo and it is not visable from the engine bay.
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

All HDi engines have a turbo!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Agreed, all HDis have a turbo but the LX was available a a 90bhp version without the intercooler which might be what the op is thinking of.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
craigbooth

Post by craigbooth »

thanks guys its the c5 sx 110 bhp. stupid question but where is the turbo then cause the air intake pipe just drops of behind the rear of the engine but i cant see any turbo normaly im used to it being on the top at the rear is that not the case with citroen?
(i know i sound dumb but first citroen i have owned)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Yep, buried down the back. You will see the intercooler pipes though, one comes over the top of the engine and to the intercooler to the right of the main radiator. Can't miss it.
craigbooth

Post by craigbooth »

yeah i had seen the mysterius second radiator but hadnt thought a lot about it i think a long weekend on the ramps is in order. problem is when you havnt had a car long its a step into the unkown what on earth am i gonna find and do i want to disturb it...
i think i had seen a haynes on ebay might be woth a bid.
craigbooth

Re: limp home mode at 70mph

Post by craigbooth »

Thanks every one
i have eventualy managed to fix this stupid fault, i am sure i am not the only person suffering with this issue from all the hours of surfing the interweb highway i have seen many people with the same problems.

what worked for me in the end was extreamly simple as most faults are.

The problem i had was with the M.A.P sensor (not to be mistaken for the m.a.f) the map sensor from what i can gather in simple terms mesures the vacume in the air system. on mine the plastic pipe that gose into the small hose that leads into the large aire pipe was broken and so the sensor was plugged in and working but always read a flat line in presure. 1 mix of araldite later and the car now trots up the before mentioned bank at full speed (also response and fuel effencicy is up up up)

you would not belive the hassle i have had to find this issue and as it is in such an easy place to get knocked i guess this is a common thing

check yours now
C5 2003 2.0 hdi SX 180'000
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Almost exactly as I suggested in my reply above but mine was the actual MAP sensor not the connecting pipe. So you've had almost 2 years with the problem then !
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
craigbooth

Post by craigbooth »

yeah 2 years of carefull low speed driving
my local police have had to lay people off because of this damn fault lol
i was looking for a defect in the air intake hose joints seals etc etc
didnt notice the little thing in the corner causing all the trouble
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

I developed a knack to drive around the problem in most circumstances, until I diagnosed the problem. Thing was, on a long journy on motorways there would always be an incline that would trigger limp home. Then I would utter various profanities, turn off, coast for about 20 seconds, restart and carry on !!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
craigbooth

Post by craigbooth »

yeah i did exactley the same
also i noticed that there where little powwer bands main one was at 90mph so if you got up to 90 on a downwards hill you would hit the power band and could keep it at 90 as long as you didnt ease off the throttle, what a pain it has been luckily my trip to work was mainly country roads so didnt get above 70 often apart from on the bypass i mentioned,
only thing now is a little bit of lag on the turbo but not to bothered just done a full service in the hope it might help but i suppose it has done over 180'000 now so not exactly a spring chick any more