Poorly fuse in the blower mod circuit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Poorly fuse in the blower mod circuit

Post by red_dwarfers »

In the words of the Chuckle Brothers "Oh dear oh dear".

This is the fusebox I put in for the blower module, I only happened to come across the condition of it while I had the dash clocks out to replace a few bulbs! I've checked all of the wiring I put in and everything else looks okay.
I'm guessing that this was caused by the warming of the fuse in an enclosed box. Looking at the colour of the blob, it was a 30 amp fuse I put in. Would this be on the very limit? Should I put in a slightly higher rated one? Could it be caused by having that lid over the top trapping in the small amount of heat, building it up?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
kenhall1202
My Cars: '05 C4 2.0HDI Exclusive
'07 Lexus RX400h
Past:
'73 GS 1220 Club Estate (a good intro to hydraulics and rust)
'74 DS D Super 5 (Superb comfort and even more rust)
'?? Dyane (fun + rust)
'?? CX 2400 GTI (served me well)
'89 CX Safari 2.5 DTR turbo (aka "the hearse" an excellent family load lugger)
'97 XM 2.1TD (Reliable and economical)

Post by kenhall1202 »

Sounds like a similar failure to that frequently experienced by XM owners.
The answer in my case was to fit a separate 30amp MAXI fuse and holder outside the underbonnet fuse box. The overheating of the smaller fuse at high current loads is caused by resistance where the the fuse spade terminals meet the metal spring blades and there is insufficient metal to dissipate the heat build up - result - melted plastic and burnt contacts. The physically larger MAXI fuse totally overcomes these problems. A higher rated small fuse will not help.
Ken Hall
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what was the rateing of the fuse holder,

i would susspect a bad conection maybe the fuse in its holder?????

if you put i bigger fuse it might not just stop at the fuse holder, and you might need to call the neeee nau's out with there big hose's :shock:

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As Ken says, this is a common XM problem. When the blower packed up on mine I went straight to the fuse - it wasn't there, someone had wired an external one which was lying on the battery! that had gone too.

Peter
davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave »

Even with my external fuse holder for the xm, it sometimes gets slightly warm and melts... Its still a standard sizd fuse though.
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

citronut wrote:what was the rateing of the fuse holder,

I would suspect a bad connection, maybe the fuse in its holder?????

If you put in a bigger fuse it might not just stop at the fuse holder, and you might need to call the neeee nau's out with their big hoses :shock:
Malcolm's spot on. A standard (i.e. not quick-blow) fuse will take twice the rated current for many hours before it eventually blows due to progressive oxidation of the fuse element. I can't remember the typical figures, but at 4X rating current the blow time is still measured in minutes.

The second picture clearly shows that it isn't the fuse element (the thin U-shaped bit) that's got hot, but one of the spade connections. A poor quality or under-rated fuse holder is to blame.

Poor quality brass (soft and easily bent) is often used in cheap electrical kit in places where plated phosphor-bronze (nice and springy) is needed. You get the same problem with some cheap 13A plugs.

I doubt there is a short anywhere - just a failure of the fuse holder.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Absolutely spot-on Guy!

The blower takes about 20A on full chat and that can give rise to some serious heating if there's a modicum of resistance about...

I don't believe those fuse holders are rated much above 10A continuous even though you can fit a 40A fuse in them.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Thank you very much all :D

I shall look into getting a beefier fuse holder and keep an eye on it.
This 30 amp fuse. If you reckon the blower only takes 20A Jim should I be using a lower rated one?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The standard fuse is 30a at least it is in the XM, I think the fuse itself might warm at 20a, if you have a short, the wiring is quite heavy to blow a 30a

Peter