'Fizzing' indicator unit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

'Fizzing' indicator unit

Post by Old-Guy »

From time to time, the indicator unit has a series of 'fizzy-fits'. This has nothing to do with using the indictors, (except that when they're in use the noise stops - that's how I know its the indicator unit).

Before I pull the steering wheel off and start tinkering, can anyone else who has had this problem point me in the right direction please?

I've got a spare set of stalks, radio buttons etc., from a VSX to fit to give variable intermittent wipe and to fix the non-working radio buttons, but I would rather wait until I've got more spare time.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Carbon tracking in the indicator switch.

If you take it apart and clean it now, you might save it, otherwise it may burn the plastic and become useless.
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Thanks for that. I figured it had to be a partial short somewhere.

I'll have a look at the spare stalk tonight to see how difficult they are to take apart.

Mmm - I could break it down into two separate jobs by 'servicing' the spare tonight so 'all' I have to do is swap them over as soon as time permits.
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I concur its highly likely to be the switch. Lots of 306's used to suffer with the same issue.

Best to do it soon or you risk burning the flasher relay contacts really.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

I had this problem on a ZX. I changed the switch. However there were probably other factors as well adding to the problem in my case. One thing you can do is to try re-seating the relay/flasher unit in it's socket. Disconnect the battery to be safe. Just moving it in and out a few times should be enough.

I've seen some poor soldering inside the relay unit's on my ZX. If you're confident with electrics then you can sometimes unclip the plastic cover of the relay unit (if it's the right type) and have a look inside it. Check for any dry solder joints (dull grey solder blobs instead of bright shiny joints).

I seem to remember somebody posting years ago about the problem with indicators on ZX's. He said he thought there was a design problem and that the voltage at some point was too low for reliable operation, and that's why they gave a lot of trouble. I think the chap changed a resistor to improve the situation.

Paul
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I had this on a Xantia. It turned out to be dirty grease on the contacts inside the indicator stalk.

I took the steering wheel off and the stalk came off easily.

I stripped the stalk unit down in the kitchen. Cleaned up the old grease. Applied some new vaseline and refitted it and the steering wheel. Job sorted.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

FIXED :D

For the benefit of anyone who reads this thread looking for answers to the same problem:

The problem did indeed seem to be a short inside the indicator stalk 'switch' in that swapping it for an already overhauled spare stalk seems to have cured the problem (it was an intermittent fault).

At the same time I repaired the wiring for the radio buttons on the steering wheel, and also swapped the wash wipe stalk (separate topic) for one from a VSX with variable wipe.

Apart from the delicate soldering job to repair the mangled ribbon cable (another story) none of it was time consuming or difficult.

It is vital to make sure the steering wheel is centred before you remove it and that it goes back on in exactly the same orientation.

I'll document the whole job with photos during the week.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Giving the switch a good 'work out' often cures the problem - it does on XMs anyway.

Peter
PendulumZX

Post by PendulumZX »

the_weaver wrote:I seem to remember somebody posting years ago about the problem with indicators on ZX's. He said he thought there was a design problem and that the voltage at some point was too low for reliable operation, and that's why they gave a lot of trouble. I think the chap changed a resistor to improve the situation.
I'd be grateful for more information about that, if anyone has it or can point me in the right direction. A search brought nothing up.

It sounds plausible. The noise it makes is as if a relay is trying to operate, but is not quite getting enough power.

This is now the second time my car has suffered this problem. Instead of just replacing the unit like last time, I am going to try fixing it first by opening it up and having a look. Nothing to lose! But I am interested in the resistor theory as an alternative or additional fix.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

PendulumZX wrote:
the_weaver wrote:I seem to remember somebody posting years ago about the problem with indicators on ZX's. He said he thought there was a design problem and that the voltage at some point was too low for reliable operation, and that's why they gave a lot of trouble. I think the chap changed a resistor to improve the situation.
I'd be grateful for more information about that, if anyone has it or can point me in the right direction. A search brought nothing up.
I posted (in 2004 :shock: ) about the resistor fix on a Xantia. I subsequently discovered (on my current car) that the resistor modification just postpones the problem, and probably makes the switch more likely to go up in smoke (due to the higher leakage current it allows).
PendulumZX

Post by PendulumZX »

Ok. Thank you.
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

Peter.N. wrote:Giving the switch a good 'work out' often cures the problem - it does on XMs anyway.
Peter
It did for a while, then the problem would become semi-permanent for a day or two.

I've just popped the cover off the defective stalk mechanism - this is a Neiman unit with a very different design to the service replacement Jaeger unit. In the 'rest' position, the gap in the Neiman unit between the moving contact and the fixed contacts is very small and I can see where it's been sparking right across. The soft zinc-alloy moving contact wears badly so the grease has become loaded with metal particles over only 100K. The Jaeger unit is better designed and uses a copper moving contact which didn't wear nearly as much in 160K.

So if you go looking for replacement stalks, choose Jaeger!
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Yes, that's the post I remembered, from six years ago. My brain is full of useful info like that.

If anybody is buying switches or relays then check out the prices at gsfcarparts as they're good for that sort of thing.

Paul
hobblerian

Post by hobblerian »

I had this on my XM, cured it by cleaning it all up then building up the rest position with araldite and shaping flat and smooth with a needle file, been fine since. Posted what I did with pictures on XM forum here-

http://www.club-xm.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... =13&t=1773
Previous 90H S1 XM 2.1td SD Manual
Current 97P S2 XM 2.1td VSX Manual