xantia hdi misfire

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

willowthehat

xantia hdi misfire

Post by willowthehat »

Just recently my Xantia has started misfiring when started from cold. It seems to clear within about 10 seconds after which the car runs fine, its almost like its running on three cylinders for a short time. The car doesn't seem down on power and still returns 50mpg, any ideas?
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Not so sure on HDI, but on the earlier TD (indirect injection), first port of call would be the glowplugs, and I'd have expected 1 to be duff. Generally accompanied by a bit of smoke on first start up, along with the lumpy running.

From posts on this forum, it seems the HDI engine needs much less in the way of glow plug assistance on start up than the TD
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Is there any exhaust smoke during the misfire ?
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
willowthehat

Post by willowthehat »

Yes I had heard that the glowplugs on the Hdi only kick in when the temp gets to -3 degrees centigrade. Also I haven't seen a glowplug light on the dash and the engine starts as soon as you turn the key, unlike our pajero and peugeot 405 which need the plugs warming first.

I shall check for smoke in the morning but I haven't noticed anything major so far however, my rear wiper is broken and the rear screen is very dirty!
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

i'm almost certain that glowplugs are used on the hdi. mine does this every now and then as well
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You won't see it, well not for long

Coolant temperature -- Pre-heating time in seconds, (average):

* -30°C -- 20
* -10°C -- 5
* 0°C -- 0.5
* +18°C -- 0

Figures for DW10 (2.0 HDi)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
willowthehat

Post by willowthehat »

So what your saying is that the half a second of preheat that the engine isn't getting, as the temperature is around 0, could be causing the misfire.
spider

Post by spider »

No, I was just posting the average times as its a common source of confusion with the HDi. :)

Bear in mind that's coolant temp not ambient air temp so coolant is actually likely to be fractionally warmer.

I would not expect to see it at all until it was about -5 outside to be honest...

EDIT... Although you may have a glowplug down too, now the weather is getting colder...
Andy.

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I'm under the impression that the glowplugs are used post starting to aid smoother running and cut emissions. The light on the dash is only to show pre-heat.

Steve.
not applicable
spider

Post by spider »

steelcityuk wrote:I'm under the impression that the glowplugs are used post starting to aid smoother running and cut emissions. The light on the dash is only to show pre-heat.

Steve.
That's correct, called post heating.

Although it should actually run without that anyway (although its not possible to do it easily, if you could for instance terminate their supply immediately after the engine fired, it would not 'stop' due to that)
If the starter is not operated, when the warning light goes out, the glow plugs remain supplied for a maximum of 10 seconds .

During the starting phase, the glow plugs are supplied under the following conditions :

* the coolant temperature is below 20 degrees C
* the engine runs at more than 70 rpm for 0.2 second(s)

10 - 2 - POST HEATING

Post-heating consists of prolonging the operation of the glow plugs for a maximum of 60 seconds from the end of the starting phase .

Parameters which could interrupt post-heating :

* coolant temperature greater than 20 degrees C
* flow injected greater than 35 mm3
* engine speed above 2000 rpm
Andy.

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

My fiances Xantia HDi does this.

Someone told me last night that it could possibly be the wrong grade of oil that's in the car.

Apparently he uses his on 5W40 and doesn't have any problems. The oil in ours is what's specified in the book so I'm not convinced that's the problem. I've changed the glow plugs, changed the control box and am still having problems with it.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

In my experiance it's extremely rare to see a glow plug light come on on any HDI engine, even in the coldest of weather, I'd look into carrying out a 'leak off' test on the injectors to see if ones giving you issues regarding insufficient pressure at start up (once a diesel engine is running it'll practically run it's self as long as all the basics are within tolerance, timing, fuel pressure, power to injectors). I should also like to point out if it is an injector fault a new injector needs coding into the car which means you'll need access to a lexia.
Music keeps me going.