Project T online

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

Project T online

Post by vanny »

Hi
You may remeber me making various motions towards sticking a Xantia TD engine into a BX. Well its now been done, and the results are amazing.
There is a full write up here http://www.bxproject.co.uk/ProjectT/index.htm for your perusal.
Feel free to ask any questions and ill try to answer them
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Nice work Vanny [8D] Might I suggest twin fans on the radiator? [:I] I know I would feel happier with a pair especially with a hype in the horsepower and an intercooler to feed. How say you.....
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Vanny - well done for finishing it and I'm glad you're pleased with it now its done.
I agree with dave - a second fan would be a good idea and I would go a bit further and suggest a temperature gauge. I'm thinking abiut putting one in my TD together with a boost gauge for amusement. Like you I can't think of where to put them and am wondering about 2 individual pods above the switches on the sides of the instrument console or besides the clock tray. I would strongly recomment thetemperature gauge (and possibly an oil temperature gauge as this is an untried conversion - well at least the whole combination of parts is) and you don't really want to find out about a problem when damage has been done.
Jeremy
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Very valid points.
Fortunately the engine i have already has the oil and water temp sensors on it, and i have already upgraded the console to have these present, its just a matter of wiring them up when i get the chance. I deffinately need to rewire the fan sensor so they dont have to be run 24/7.
As for the extra guages (boost and pressure) im thinking i will mount them in the dash or possibly in the roof console (i have the roof console but no sunroof, so there is plenty of space.
As for the second fan, i already have one in the garage, but im still thinking of a way to mount them BOTH. At the moment the fan is pressed hard up against the front bulkhead and causes terrible vibration. I think i may find alternate, thinner fans to fit. Its a trip to the scrap yard on Friday for me!!
Im also thinking of a second intercooler, but im not sure where to mount it yet, btu i have a metal bonnet if i need it.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

AFAIR the lower-power petrol BXs have lower-profile fans, but of course they have less to do. If they aren't as deep at least the fitting might be less traumatic.
David
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

What about drive shafts, turbo's usualy have beefier shafts fitted.
Dave
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Only the Xantia has beefier drive shafts, but only on the length NOT on the part that goes into the diff. I dont think it will make all that much difference, i appreciate its a torque thing but if the input is the same on both, and the hub ends are the same then ill live with it.
I can now understand why it has post heat on the glow plugs, it runs as rough as when it first gets started up. Gonna work on it tomorrow along with the other various wiring bits. I'm going shopping for an aditional intercooler and a few other bits.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Vanny
How about a pair of 16V fans? Might be able to get them in there, and they're defo thinner than the standard items.
The radiator would be smaller too if you wanted to open up some space, and I guess what you're after is lots of cold air over the intercooler rather than through the rad?
Adrian
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Woo Hoo!!
I've made 'senior user' grade [:D][:p]
Adrian
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Ive now got twin fans from a 205 diesel (c-reg at that), there about an inch thinner which is grand. Had a look at the BX TD radiator and as noted its HUGE, but it wouldnt fit with the Xantia intercooler (in fact the normal one only just fits), it would also be hard up against the alternator.
But disaster struck this morning, put the car in the garage to investigate a few rattles, raised the suspension height and BAM the rear HC unit started gushing LHM under such high pressure it came out as mist. Needless to say i ran away. Now got a replacment HC unit so goin to fit these and do some rewiring.
As for senior member, we all have a long way until we reach 'old man of the board' status, but i think AlanS must be getting close
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The Audi A4 TDI has it's intercooler located down by the front lh wheel, a common mod is to cut slots in the inner wheel housing to draw more air through the 'cooler. A possible extra 'cooler for your BX?
//NiSk
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Vanny
I'm sure I've seen somewhere that people iprove the efficiency of intercoolers by squirting cold water over the element when extra power is required. If I recall correctly a washer pump was used.
Haven't tried it myself - probably save me cleaning the engine too! Seriously a cheap mod if it works.
jeremy
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Water spray jets are another quick power boost and as you say are easy and cheap to install. Although i have the kit to do it i will wait untill all the other little thinga re done and running smooth. Im not really looking to create the worlds fastest diesel (or i would have got a 2.5 turbo from a Safari CX), just something that will last for ever!
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Done the HC yet, Vanny? Be careful not to round the nuts on the front-rear feed pipes (speaking from experience, here).
I was given a hint to avoid grief if you you're left with one front/rear pipe nut that doesn't want to move and threatens to round off: Grip the pipe nut with mole grips and rotate the HC. Not so good if the pair doesn't want to move though...
10mm pipe-nuts on these make them much easier to remove - as I dscovered when salvaging a copper set of front-rear pipes.
David