Spark Plugs for the Xant!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ref

Spark Plugs for the Xant!

Post by Ref »

So it's time to change them, any recommendations for 1.8 8v?
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Always NGK! :roll:

Be careful of the threads on these heads, as I have had to do rethreading on a few of these 8V units. The material does not seem to be too good, especially if the plugs have not been regularly changed. If they are tight to remove, chances are you will take out the thread as well.

However, they can be repaired in situ. :shock:

H
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

handyman wrote:Always NGK! :roll:

Be careful of the threads on these heads, as I have had to do rethreading on a few of these 8V units. The material does not seem to be too good, especially if the plugs have not been regularly changed. If they are tight to remove, chances are you will take out the thread as well.

However, they can be repaired in situ. :shock:

H
+1.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ref

Post by Ref »

It's not tight to remove as i toke them off last week as it water dropped in when i was changing the coolant,will take your advice and go for NGK, thanks for the help!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've used the ones with the strange name supplied by GSF with no issues... For a V6 especially, they're a very economical buy...

Personally, I've never quite got how one plug is necessarily better than another. If it is of the correct heat range then all it does is provide a gap to allow a spark to jump and ignite the fuel - job done. How precisely can say, an NGK, do a better job than the ones flogged by GSF at half the cost?

This is a serious question as I really don't get it.

To my mind, plugs don't seem to wear anything like as badly as they used to 30 or 30 years ago...

I tend to totally ignore plugs if the engine starts, runs fine and has low MOT emissions...
handyman wrote: Be careful of the threads on these heads
V6 heads too... I find it best to remove plugs when the head is still a little warm and to ease them back and forth - don't just try to screw them straight out. It's often a ring of carbon on the very bottom of the threads that make them tight. A bit of Plus Gas when they initially start to move can help as well...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I can get the NGK ones for less than the GSF ones, about £5 cheaper for the set. I've used them for years and never had a problem.

I didnt use them in my Mondeo though, OE Motorcraft plugs made by Autolite in the states.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Ref

Post by Ref »

XantiaMan wrote:I can get the NGK ones for less than the GSF ones, about £5 cheaper for the set. I've used them for years and never had a problem.

I didnt use them in my Mondeo though, OE Motorcraft plugs made by Autolite in the states.
what part number for the ones you use?
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Ref wrote:
XantiaMan wrote:I can get the NGK ones for less than the GSF ones, about £5 cheaper for the set. I've used them for years and never had a problem.

what part number for the ones you use?
For the Activa, i think it was BPR6E. Same for other petrols i think (8 valve)
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Ref

Post by Ref »

thanks for the reply i will look for them, by the way have anyone tried the bosch super 4?
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Ref wrote:thanks for the reply i will look for them, by the way have anyone tried the bosch super 4?
Yes and they are appalling, dont waste your money. Some cars did have multi electrode plugs but many just use high quality iridium now. My experience is they do not work well in an old tech engine.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I have never used NGK spark plugs and found this thread interesting.

Ref, NGK product selector offers these options for
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xantia 1.8:
Model Detail Engine Type / Additional Info Year Part No Stock No
XANTIA 1.8 LFZ (XU7JP/Z) / 8 VALVE 06/93 –> 05/95 BCPR6E 1269
XANTIA 1.8 LFZ (XU7JP/Z) / 8 VALVE 06/95 –> 09/99 BKR6EZ 4619
XANTIA 1.8 LFY (XU7JP4L3) / 16 VALVE 05/95 –> BKR6EZ 4619
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xantia 2.0:
Model Detail Engine Type / Additional Info Year Part No Stock No
XANTIA 2.0 RFX (XU10J2C/Z) / 8 VALVE 05/93 –> 05/95 BCPR6E 1269
XANTIA 2.0 RFX (XU10J2C/Z) / 8 VALVE 06/95 –> 09/99 BKR6EZ 4619
XANTIA 2.0 RFV (XU10J4R) / 16 VALVE 01/94 –> BKR6EZ 4619
XANTIA 2.0 RGX (XU10J2TE/Z) / TURBO/ACTIVA 02/96 –> BKR6EZ 4619

Have you heard of Eyquem spark plugs. I have used them so far in my Xantia (200k + miles), happy customer 8-)
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

VertVega wrote: Have you heard of Eyquem spark plugs. I have used them so far in my Xantia (200k + miles), happy customer 8-)
They're the ones :D The ones I referred to with the strange name earlier. As I said, I've found them fine..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ref

Post by Ref »

@XantiaMan The electrode thing is confusing me really so there's no point to use them in my 94 xantia? the plugs came with the car are denso with 3 electrodes, and a mechanic adviced me to buy the 3 electrode plugs as well but he didn't mention a brand.

@VertVega i never seen Eyquem before but it's an option to consider,
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Keep it simple, keep it single electrode... My point is your engine is not sophisticated, nor is its ignition system and fitting a plug it wasnt designed for will either give no benefit, or cause rough running and misfires at the worst.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I thought I was the only one Image , thanks CitroJim :lol:

They were the spark plugs I had when I bought my car and since then always used Eyquem.
I'm not sure about it but they might be the factory installation brand.
Since last summer I have the Eyquem F54 (3+1 model) type spark plugs.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual