MK1 Xantia Droplinks Warning Stupid Question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

MK1 Xantia Droplinks Warning Stupid Question

Post by admiral51 »

Hi All
I need to replace the droplinks on my MK1 VSX and im a little bit stuck :oops: :oops:

I have in the past changed droplinks on my previous Xantias and have always managed to get the nuts undone enough to get the disc cutter onto the threaded bit and out it pops 8-) 8-)

However this time i cant get the nuts to budge :twisted: :twisted: so any tips on how/where is best to set to work with the cutter :)

Cheers

Colin
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Colin, silly question but have you tried PlusGas on them?

I truly didn't believe it was any better than WD40 until I tried it. If you need some, I have some here.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Toby

Yes ive plus gassed it,but still no joy.
Looks like it was put on by someone who decided FT really meant not to be undone in the future :evil: :evil:
I can get the top nut to turn along with the threaded end but when holding it with the allen key i cant get it to turn but the bottom nut will not budge at all.
Suppose i could always cut the nuts off like slicing up a pizza :idea:

Any thoughts on any other methods :) :)

Colin
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You've got some of the really thin 4" grinder discs, right?

Cut across the shank/nut until you are a poofteenth away from kissing the strut. Careful driving from the side, of a sharpened cold chisel ought to finish the job.

Repeat on the ARB if required.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I lever them off the ball and grip the ball with vice grips.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

In the last 2 years, I've had to do both drop-links on the green estate. N/S first - doddle. O/S bottom a right pig - even gripping the ball didn't work (hardened so the vice-grips eventually skidded off.

This is my method for next time:

"If the (5mm) hex key keeps popping out of the socket, then it's time to get out the angle-grinder. Cut off the ball joint (cut off rubber cuff and grind through the neck of the ball joint). Cut off the Nyloc bit of the frozen nut together with the exposed thread of the stud to leave a plain nut - the heat of cutting will help loosen the rust/loctite. Now you can get vice-grips on the shoulder of the ball joint one side of the ARB and a socket on the nut on the other side. This method doesn't require much finesse with the angle grinder, only a little thought to keep the disk well away from the ARB."

I'd resort to this method at the first sign of difficulty instead of wasting a lot of time trying to get a 'frozen' nut off.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i just use a thin cutting disc down the centre of the threaded shank which also cuts the nut in two, just cut till you are very nearly through now finnish it of with a thin chizle and knock omitter,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If you don't have a grinder Colin, which works a treat, a nut splitter will do the job very well...

One of these:

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...