Xantia HDi fuel problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sihowat
My Cars:

Xantia HDi fuel problem

Post by sihowat »

Hi. Looking for some help and advice. My Xantia broke down a few weeks ago and was advised by AA that it was a fuel pump issue. I changed the pump in the tank with no luck. Since this I have also had 2 of the engine fuel pumps fitted and still no joy. All the pumps have been second hand but still the cost is getting to the same value as what I paid for the car.

Does anyone know why I'm still getting low pressure?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The best thing for you to do is to get the ECU fault codes read, take a look on the forums list of Lexia owners to see if there's a member near you who can help, failing that a local indy or dealer will be your next option.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Theres a pressure sensor switch on the Fuel Rail..

I had one of these fail recently, changed - coincedentally, failed the same time as the tank pump, swapped them both over and she was as good as new..

It has to be, you have rulled out the tank pump, and it would be a bit of bad luck if two engine pumps would both be faulty, so without a Lexia, Id say the rail pressure switch...

Its the one thats screwed into the UNDERSIDE of the rail, pointing downwards... The other is a temperture sensor for the fuel...

Id change this and go from there... :wink:

Having not been here myself recently I would ALSO agree a Lexia session would be needed... but, other then Pump, and Engine Pump, theres only the Rail Pressure sensor left!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
sihowat
My Cars:

Post by sihowat »

Thanks guys. Any idea how much a pressure sensor switch for the fuel rail will be?

Not sure if this has been tried or not yet. I will find out more tomorrow once I've spoken to my mechanic about how he got on this evening. The pressure reading that its giving out is way below what it should be.
coastline taxis

Post by coastline taxis »

Hi does the engine run on for a couple of seconds when you switch the engine of.And have you had the car plugged in
sihowat
My Cars:

Post by sihowat »

The car won't start. I stopped in a parking space, idled for a few seconds and cut out and hasn't started since.

The car has been on a diagnostics machine and it says extremely low fuel pressure. Can't remember off hand what the reading was.

So far I've spent 100 quid on recovery, 300 for in tank pump and 2 engine ones. 20 on timing belt and still got to pay for the work getting done. Plus just spent 112 on 6 month tax. Total so far 532 plus labour on a car that I only paid 650 for in august.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Along the lines of what Paul mentions about the fuel rail pressure sensor try removing the electric connector to check for corrosion, failing that give the connector a wiggle whilst someone else turns the engine over, I've repaired a Picasso HDi that was sorted simply by doing what is known as a "wiggle test" on that sensor.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
sihowat
My Cars:

Post by sihowat »

The latest diagnosis is injectors are to blame. It would appear that the original fuel pump has failed and caused the problem with injectors due to bits of metal I think anyway.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Before you start splashing out on injectors which will be very expensive remove the main fuel pump pressure sensor (which is fitted on the rear of the pump and held in place by two Torx or Allen bolts) and give it/the rod sticking out the rear a good clean, also if you have one available use a small magnet attached to a rod (as sold in car accessory shop's to pick up dropped nut's) and insert it carefully into the hole in the back of the pump to remove any metal swarf collected there, it may sort it out and at the very least its worth a try as it only takes a few minutes of your time at no expense.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
sihowat
My Cars:

Post by sihowat »

Any idea how much injectors would cost? Friend of mine has some in his workshop that he's going to let me borrow to see if I can get it going with them.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

sihowat wrote:Any idea how much injectors would cost? Friend of mine has some in his workshop that he's going to let me borrow to see if I can get it going with them.
As far as I can determine they are approximately £250 each for an HDi :shock: