abs sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

i3
My Cars:

abs sensor

Post by i3 »

hey...xantia abs light is on...connected it to comp for diagnostic...there were a few faults in the abs system...first diagnostic revealed (cant remember exactly what) front os abs sensor something and front os sensor above 40kph something like that...and it said the same two faults for the ns. however after resetting the faults and restarting procedure,on the second diagnostic it said front os abs sensor fault or something like that, only...so al the others were removed and just this remained....could the sensor just need cleaning? or would i need to replace it?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Could be the sensor or the toothed disk that it reads that are either too dirty for it to operate correctly. Otherwise either one could be u/s.

Alternatively the connection at the ECU could be corroded or otherwise making poor contact.

There is a procedure noted here somewhere for removing the connection from the ECU and checking the sensor resistance with an Ohm meter.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or even just a fractured cable were it is flexed around the strut every time you turn the steering, as this can be intermitent in its early stage's before it fails completly,

regards malcolm
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

if you have a basic voltmeter, start by measuring the resistances from the connector (pic. below).
A pic of pin assignment on the connector is found in FCF, both for MK1 and MK2 models.
I don't have one at the moment, otherwise I would have sent.

Measuring is simple as seen in pic. Good ABS sensor will give readings
between 1060-1100 Ω.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

will check that out...have to look for that topic then... could anyone tell me how to remove the abs sensor, so i can clean it? have removed the one bolt on there, but it still seems stuck on...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dont remove them for cleaning as you will almost certainly destroy them in the process,

useualy just blast the fragments from between there tips and the rotor's with compresed air, the tips are magnatised so pick up any metal particals floatting aroun near them,

then give the rotor's a good stiff wire brushing,

regards malcolm
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

i3 wrote:...have to look for that topic then...
Here's the link to the topic where connector pic is available.
The first pic is for MK2 models ---> Xantia Rear ABS Sensor Renewal <---

---
Edit: I just noticed that there's a pic place holder for the first pic (the image moved or deleted) and
this pic I mentioned is actually 'the second' pic.
It says above picture: ' From Jan 1998 onwards:'
and there is a text on it as: 'Citroen Xantia 1.8i 1998, ABS ECU connector pinout'
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual