Rear suspension hydraulic unit - removal (Xantia HDi Est)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Just40in
My Cars:

Rear suspension hydraulic unit - removal (Xantia HDi Est)

Post by Just40in »

Having been emboldened by the success in fixing a leaking rear Hydractive 11 regulator (very easily and cheaply thanks to the great help given here), I attempt to replace the rear spheres. One is v.easy, second one comes off easily, but new sphere won't bite. Somehow the hydraulic unit thread is damaged, and the sphere won't go on - lots of ali particles float out in the oil.

I gave up.

I have the hydraulic pipes to the HU removed, the 2 spring clips, but can't get the suspension link rod out of the way to withdraw the HU. As usual, Haynes is a useful as a chocolate tea-pot (undo and remove etc). I don't want to damage anything.

Anyone know which way to go from here?

Thanks in advance...
Justin,

2000 HDi Exclusive
2000 HDi 90 LX

Previously - TD VSX, 1.9 GTi BX
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hi Justin,

I assume you've removed the frontmost clip, which locates the suspension link rod into the sub-frame. When I removed mine, I found a bit of corrosion of the link end (which IIRC is convex) where it locates into the concave seating on the sub-frame. The corrosion held the link in place until given a little physical encourage to give way.

If the cylinder's thread is damaged, one option would be to visit a scrappy. Good luck
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Just40in
My Cars:

Post by Just40in »

Thanks for the reply - You're right of course, as Pleiades told me yesterday morming to hit the rod housing very hard indeed and it should drop out. It took heat and a lump hammer etc to shift it, but it came out eventually. The big hydraulic pipes came undone OK too!

Pleiades has a tool for rethreading the cylinder, so a quick trot down the A1 and they fixed the cylinder.

All went back together Ok after that. Car appears to work fine now.
Justin,

2000 HDi Exclusive
2000 HDi 90 LX

Previously - TD VSX, 1.9 GTi BX
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you have to be very carefull when wollaping the push rod cups as the are high tensile steel and can crack/fracture,

i useualy use a small cole chisle at the point the cup fits into the arm and drift it side to side, but without excesive force,

regards malcolm