speedo sender Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete woods
My Cars:

speedo sender Xantia

Post by pete woods »

The speedo on my 96 1.9 td has stopped working. I read a while ago that itwas possible to test the sender to see if if was faulty. Have searched but cant find it. Any one know how to do it?
ghostrider
My Cars:

speedo sender Xantia

Post by ghostrider »

Pete, from the haynes manual it sounds as if the transducer is on the gearbox and is accessed from under the car , must be near the final drive to make any sense. As for testing it I would think it is similar to the Tacho sensor and should therefore have a resistance reading between the two terminals on the tacho its around 75 ohms, if its like the tacho sensor the third wire will be a screen.
Peter
________
Drug Test Kit
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.
pete woods
My Cars:

Post by pete woods »

Cheers for that. I'm sure that I have seen a definitive test for the sender on this forum in the past. thats what i'm after but it's not turning up on any of my searches.
David Goddard
My Cars:

Post by David Goddard »

One test, if you have found the sensor is to connect a meter across the two terminals. As Peter says, first check the resistance. If there is "something" there (other than a desd short or open circuit) it may be worth checking that it is generating a signal.
Run a pair of wires into the car and look for an increasing voltage as the speed increases. Set the meter to AC Volts. I would expect to see several volts generated at 30 mph.
As sensors are simply magetic pick ups, I would suspect the actual speedo. Check that it has 12V supply and that the earth is OK.
pete woods
My Cars:

Post by pete woods »

Thanks, I'll have a go next weekend
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

as this is a hall efect sensor it needs a power supply & earth,unlike the tacho sensor (inductive type) which produces its own voltage.heres my method of testing them which got a result.i should have mentioned that the sensor has to be plugged back into the loom when testing. http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... ignal,wire