lhm leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

i3
My Cars:

lhm leak

Post by i3 »

hey all, xants is leaking lhm from the hydraulic pump. i assume its leaking from the pump as there's green stuff on the alternator which drips onto the floor roughly below. on the floor beneath the car there is two areas where lhm spills...both close to each other, one larger than the other both roughly under the hydraulic pump. citroen said there are three different sized o-rings they sell, wasnt sure which it was so i got one of each. two are fairly small, and one is really quite large, i dont have a clue where the large one would fit onto. anybody have any pics or diagrams of where the o-rings are on the hydraulic pump, so i could establish where the leak is from. thanks all
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: lhm leak

Post by DickieG »

i3 wrote:I dont have a clue where the large one would fit onto. anybody have any pics or diagrams of where the o-rings are on the hydraulic pump, so i could establish where the leak is from. thanks all
The leak is usually from the rubber seal around the outlet pipe union, here's a photo below.

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

hello isa, good to hear from you again!

The most likely place for leakage is from the delivery valve O ring as shown by the red circle and item 5 in the picture below..

It is easy enough to swap, albeit messy. Release the P clips on the pipe, undo the 12mm upipe union using a flare nut spanner (very important) and carefully withdraw the pipe, taking care not to bend it.

Then undo the 19mm hexagon and carefully lift the unit out, minding that under it is a strong spring and at the very bottom a ball and ball cup. It you lift the valve very carefully, the spring and ball/ballcup will not be disturbed.

Plenty of LHM will leak though... I find a baby nappy laid on top of the alternator is a good way to catch spilt LHM. If anyone was ever wondering, that's why there's a bag of nappies in my workshop!

Renew the O ring (which will be at the top of the threads on the valve body and reassemble.

Don't overtighten anything, especially the 12mm pipe union, it only needs to be nipped up.

Try to clean up the alternator as much as you can. LHM can hurt an alternator. If it is really full, take it off and wash it out using an airline and a gentle electronics solvent...

The picture will show where the big o ring goes...

Hope that sorts it, it's a very common leak...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ha ha, you beat me to it Richard :D :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

also note that No. 4 is a smaller diamiter, so dont purchase the wrong one's,

regards malcolm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Handy thing I've found if the pipe weeps around the actual pipe that goes into the 12mm nut after you put it back together;
Slacken the bolts which hold the pipe brackets in place on the side of the pump, slacken the 12mm nut enough so that the pipe can wiggle, then pull the pipe up directly away from the 12mm nut, then nip the nut up.
This ensures the pipe's flare is seated properly inside the nut.

Jim/anyone, have you got the number for the large o-ring between the piston section and the bell end?
I'm thinking of replacing that on Juliet to see if it has the same effect as it did when Cassy's was replaced.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

hey Jim, good to be back..problems as usual...ok...assuming that the diagram is showing the pump the right way up as it is in the engine, with alternator below it...the large o-ring is very big, it wont fit on any of those...however the larger of two small ones,looks like it will...so im assuming the huge one they gave me is not for the pump...?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

the large one is most likely the one I'm after for Juliet.
It goes between the piston part of the pump and the bell end.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
scratcher
My Cars:

lhm leak

Post by scratcher »

Hi, hint I was given , on putting things back together loosley fit the outlet pipe into the union nut before putting it back into the pump. Tends to avoid getting it in cross threaded.
Xantia vsx
GSA 1300
Previous AMI8 estate
GS1015
GSA1300 estate
BX16
BX17d
BX19destate
BX19d
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Leaving LHM in the alternator is likely to lead to an expensive alternator replacement. Alternators for S1 Xantiae with the pump above the alternator are over £100 exchange; for those with the sensible arrangement with the pump at the bottom, the exchange price is under £50!

I presume Renault or Peugeot were responsible for the layout of the air-con engines and the Citroen engineers had to put the HP pump where they could?
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

hmm..it doesnt really look covered with lhm,,,however there are clear signs of lhm on the alternator...its been bit too rainy to try sorting the o-ring today...hopefully will be able to have a look tomorrow...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Need to replace the output valve and that blanking cap O rings on mine, they both weep, only very slightly but it really causes a mess over time.
Hope I have both sizes in my O ring assortment box !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Pshemsky
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: XM 2.5 (1995)
Peugeot 207 (2021)
Mitsubishi Grandis (2007)
-
Gone with the wind...
Xantia 2.0 HDI (1999)
C5 2.0 HDI (2003)
Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000)

Post by Pshemsky »

Hi Guys.
I know that this topic is more than 9 years old, but i think that this could is my case and decide to join this discussion.
I've noticed that LHM weeping from one pipe connectors on pump itself. Just want to make sure that I'm thinking about same seal for my issue I decide to ask before I go any further.
Here's my problem - pipe with blue mark on it
DSC_1361.JPG
As you can see, some lhm running down on pump right towards alternator :/
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It is very likely to be the 19mm o-ring that is leaking, I have needed to replace them on most of the Xantias and XMs that I have owned.

You could buy an identical replacement o-ring from Citroen, but I would recommend buying o-rings made in Viton, which is more heat resistant and has a longer life than the original o-rings, which I think are made from nitrile rubber.

In this application I also recommend slightly increasing the cross-section size (from 2.4 to 2.5mm) as I think that Citroen were a bit mean with their sizing, and the 2.4mm o-ring is a bit of a sloppy fit in the groove.

Here is one supplier of 2..4 x 19mm Viton o-rings: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-Viton ... rk:20:pf:0 I am just giving this link to illustrate that they are readily available, I have not used that particular supplier.
Pshemsky
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: XM 2.5 (1995)
Peugeot 207 (2021)
Mitsubishi Grandis (2007)
-
Gone with the wind...
Xantia 2.0 HDI (1999)
C5 2.0 HDI (2003)
Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000)

Post by Pshemsky »

xantia_v6 wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 17:33 It is very likely to be the 19mm o-ring that is leaking, I have needed to replace them on most of the Xantias and XMs that I have owned.

You could buy an identical replacement o-ring from Citroen, but I would recommend buying o-rings made in Viton, which is more heat resistant and has a longer life than the original o-rings, which I think are made from nitrile rubber.

In this application I also recommend slightly increasing the cross-section size (from 2.4 to 2.5mm) as I think that Citroen were a bit mean with their sizing, and the 2.4mm o-ring is a bit of a sloppy fit in the groove.

Here is one supplier of 2..4 x 19mm Viton o-rings: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-Viton ... rk:20:pf:0 I am just giving this link to illustrate that they are readily available, I have not used that particular supplier.

Many thanks for quick reply. I followed advise and ordered 2.5mm, as mentioned above.
I'm guessing that whole operation need to be done after complete system depressurising (car suspension on low setting and release pressure - bolt beside acc sphere in front) ?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas