Xantia A/C Light on switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

acrowot
My Cars:

Xantia A/C Light on switch

Post by acrowot »

My car is a xantia 1996 SX TD, when I switch on the A/C I find it very difficult to see the light on the switch during the day, it is OK at night time,is this normal?. Every other Xantia I have tried has the same very dim light on the A/C switch.
John
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Your probably right! Mine is also difficult to see.
Alex S

Post by Alex S »

It is the same at all Xantias.Seems like design fault.
JoSawday
My Cars:

Post by JoSawday »

I'm sure mine was ok when new but now five years and 126,000 miles I have exactly the same problem.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

My late '98 version is fine but I think they redesigned the dashboard with the exterior facelift (mines a facelifted version).
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If you think the light on a Xantia is bad try a new Mondeo, it is literally the size of a pin-head and so dim that on even a cloudy day you can't see it!
JoSawday
My Cars:

Post by JoSawday »

I do have a 'workaround'. You drive for a few minutes, with temperature setting to minimum. If you do not feel a cool breeze, press the air con. Drive for a few more minutes. Either you feel a cool breeze and then know the air con is on or you don't and know the air con needs a service. :-)
Actually we should be glad that the Xantia AirCon is quite good - many lesser models have quite a weedy air con. Mine began to be less effective last year but a well spent £80 service sorted this out and it's back to full icy output - even if the light isn't!
RichardH
My Cars:

Post by RichardH »

The heat from the bulb blackens the green plastic bulb holder inside the switch so reducing the light output.
I swapped the bulb holder in my aircon switch for the one in the rear window isolator switch or the volumetric sensor cutout switch, I can't remember which. Problem solved at least for a couple of years.
I have bought replacement wire-tailed 12volt bulbs for the illuminated switches from Maplins in the past.
Richard
JoSawday
My Cars:

Post by JoSawday »

RichardH - great tip - how do you get the covers off though (I know it must be easy but I don't want to break anything)?
RichardH
My Cars:

Post by RichardH »

It just flicks off and there's a white plastic diffuser underneath the cap, if you have the Hydractive switch on the centre console it is easy to remove the whole switch so you can have a good look at it.
Richard