Xantia rear suspension lazy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jcdel
My Cars:

Xantia rear suspension lazy

Post by jcdel »

Not had this before.Probably a simple cure. The car seems to lose pressure overnight(not totally deflated, and no leaks).If I carry out the citrobics, front rises no problem but the rear refuses unless you juggle the height control lever backwards and forwards a few times.Another point is that the front always rises first?Not sure if I have ever noticed it on any of my other Xantia's before.Ride seems OK although probably not as good as my previous Xantia.
Spheres were changed last year.Interesting point also is that the brake pedal is more positive after the citrobics.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: Xantia rear suspension lazy

Post by Old-Guy »

jcdel wrote:The car seems to lose pressure overnight(not totally deflated, and no leaks).
What are the symptoms?
.... but the rear refuses (to rise) unless you juggle the height control lever backwards and forwards a few times.Another point is that the front always rises first?
That'll be the classic problem of a sticky rear height control mechanism. Needs freeing-off and lubricating. There's a sticky covering the complete overhaul of Front and Rear Height Correctors the rear is much simpler than the front. Probably all that's needed is a good clean-off, lubricate and juggling of the height control lever to get it all working properly.
Ride seems OK although probably not as good as my previous Xantia.
Spheres were changed last year. Interesting point also is that the brake pedal is more positive after the citrobics.
When the spheres were changed, was the LHM changed and the brakes bled?

The supply of high-pressure for the rear brakes comes from the rear suspension circuit, so it could be that a rear sphere is leaking gas into the circuit. But the usual effect of gas ('air') in the hydraulic system is to produce a heart-stopping delay in the pedal response. The pedal doesn't act on the brake circuits directly, it simply operates a dual (front & rear) valve to admit LHM under high pressure (5-700bar!) to the brake circuits - it takes time for any 'air' in the circuit to be compressed before there's enough pressure to move the pads.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
jcdel
My Cars:

Post by jcdel »

Many Thanks for that!The linkage is quite free but there is a definite resistance on the lever towards full rearward.Just reading up on the complete overhaul.God I luv' this forum.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Just to be quite clear: even if the height adjuster mechanism is seized solid, the linkage from the Control Lever between the front seats will move all the way from High to Low without two much resistance because it acts on a spring in the mechanism.

If you're in any doubt this PDF document may make things a bit clearer.

Please take heed of the warning not to get under an unsupported Xantia!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom