IS IT REALLY THAT EASY

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaspwieser
My Cars:

IS IT REALLY THAT EASY

Post by Jaspwieser »

HI GUYS, HAVING READ THE POSTS ON REMOVING SPHERES ON A XANTIA AND EVEN WATCHING A YOU TUBE VIDEO, IS IT REALLY THAT EASY.. I DO HAVE SOME MECHANICAL KNOWLEDGE BUT NOT WITH A CITROEN.

HAVE BOUGHT A REMOVAL TOOL FROM EBAY, WILL GET SOME RAMPS
WANT TO CHANGE ALL THE SPHERES.. DO I OR SHOULD I CHANGE THE FLUID

RICHARD :? :?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, change the fluid. If you can stretch to it, buy the gallon of "hydraflush" - orange container labelled "TOTAL Hydraurinçage" and run with this for a thousand miles. Then empty it all out and refill/bleed again.

Reservoir itself is easily removed with two 10mm nuts to the rear then pulling steadily upwards from its retainer grommets below, and swilled clean with petrol. Before removing it, take note of the way its lid retainer wire is clipped on, and be careful easing the feed hoses (fragile and costly at 10+ years of age) off the lid spigots - use worm drive clamps on refitting.

Don't use a brush or compressed air on the fluid filters - just gentle swilling in a clean sauce jar or similar full of petrol or white spirit. Shake/drip dry after.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well, it can be easy but on the other hand, it can be bloody difficult, it all depends on how long the sphere has been on and how tight it was done up and how much corrosion is present...

On my cars, most will spin off with ease because they are regularly off for routine pressure testing...

However, I worked on a project car earlier this year where almost every sphere needed the attentions of a cold chisel, a punch and a 4 lb club hammer to remove them. Most fall somewhere between these two extremes...

If the tool won't cut the mustard, then a hammer and chisel is your salvation.

Have you read the sticky on sphere changing?

Note carefully the safety warnings and the special procedure for the rear corner spheres...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaspwieser
My Cars:

Post by Jaspwieser »

Thanx guys...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

With fairly tight spheres, letting some PlusGas soak into the joints overnight (or longer) seems to make a big difference. Having Plus Gas'd my rear spheres, I then bust my strap wrench (Yes, I should have known better!), trying to get the corner ones off. When I came back to the job several hours later with a hefty chain wrench, they came off surprisingly easily - using exactly the same breaker bar I'd been swinging on until the strap wrench gave up the unequal contest.

Do cover the radiator with a sheet of stout cardboard, thin ply hardboard (best) when doing the accumulator sphere - protects both the radiator and your knuckles - radiator fins are like a giant cheese grater!

There's a condensed version of the sticky thread here.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

I did my old Xantia.......and a cold chisel was in order. :evil: It was a dream to get them replaced and experience a whole new Xant once done however. :twisted:
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

in all the years i have worked on and around citroen's i have never had to resort to the use of a cold chisel,

i do own/use either my proper citroen tool (bit like the ebay jobby) but instead of a bolt tightenning against the sphere, the steel band has has a split then tightened onto the sphere with a pinch bolt,

this tool is usualy used in conjunction with a club hammer to shock the sphere loose,

or my stanley 30cm pipe chain wrench, sometimes aided by a length of tube to give it more leverage,

regards malcolm
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

citronut wrote:in all the years i have worked on and around Citroën's i have never had to resort to the use of a cold chisel,

i do own/use either my proper Citroën tool (bit like the ebay jobby) but instead of a bolt tightenning against the sphere, the steel band has has a split then tightened onto the sphere with a pinch bolt,

this tool is usualy used in conjunction with a club hammer to shock the sphere loose,

or my stanley 30cm pipe chain wrench, sometimes aided by a length of tube to give it more leverage,

regards malcolm
We have that tool too, usually works, though not on C5s, their spheres are bigger.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10