One to watch out for...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paxman Power
My Cars:

One to watch out for...

Post by Paxman Power »

My 96 Xantia 19TD "failed" its MOT this week due to a hydraulic fluid leak at the rear height corrector.
Only thing is - it didn't!
Being a conciencious Xantia owner I had followed the advice which is regularly given on this site and thoroughly lubricated both height correctors to prevent their seizure.
I thought it wasn't leaking as I wasn't losing fluid and there were no green stains on my driveway - and anyway, who's going to argue with the MOT tester.
Took the car home, wheeked it up on the ramps and gave the rear corrector a good steam clean - it came up like new.
Took the car back for re-test (free at the garage I use thankfully - that's why I go there!) and explained the reason for the "fail" to the same tester.
He put it up on the ramp had a quick shifty a it and then said to me, "Well, if you're happy"!
And I was.
I wasn't there when he did the initial test or I would have explained to him that the "fluid" round the height corrector couldn't be LHM due to the colour.
Moral of the story - keep it lubricated but not too wet!
1996 Xantia 19TD
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Maybe you were expected to leave the car for 'repair' and re-test, then they would have cleaned it off and given you the bill. But they wouldn't do anything like that - would they?
sandancer

Post by sandancer »

Best one I had was when my Xant apparently failed on its handbrake check. Does help when you try using the correct set of wheels...