xantia clutch hydraulics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

imperial21
My Cars:

xantia clutch hydraulics

Post by imperial21 »

I have had a post about my cars clutch but i am now wondering if its the hydraulics starting to fail, i started this post in the wanted section as i am thinking of getting another hydraulic setup and fitting it and seeing if helps but i also would like your opinons,i have only ever driven my xantia but have diven other cars with hydraulic clutches and our work van is a peugeot expert hdi van and that clutch is nothing like mine.
my clutch pedal is about an inch higher than my other pedals but others have said that is ok.
basicly there are 2 problems which could be one faulty item or 2 or even me !
My car had a new clutch about 3 months ago but judders badly but the judder goes away as the car warms up,fitter says i have a bad flywheel with high spots,he says he fitted an LUK clutch.
Also i believe the biteing point of the clutch changes sometimes its in the centre other times its at the top.
If i stay stil bring the clutch up to bite thats about half ish but it take 3/4 of the pedal to pull away i ave a fiesta which is hydraulic clutch it bites and pulls away about the same place,
so i wonder do i have faulty hydraulics on my clutch ??????????
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I doubt it's the hydraulics. I've got similar problems (juddering, mainly in first but sometimes second, when lots of torque is playing) with my Activa, without a new clutch. I suspect my engine mountings - how are yours?

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Generally, the hydraulic bit either works or it doesn't. Having said that, if the garage who replaced the clutch were not 100% savvy, it is possible to cause air to be admitted to the clutch slave cylinder if you are not careful.

Being a sealed for life thing, bleeding it is far from easy although there are ways!!!

If it is airy then it'll behave just like airy brakes in that it will feel soft and spongy on first application with the bite point very high and then gradually get harder with the bite point getting lower as you pump it. It will then tend to stay right until after a long rest and again it'll feel spongy.

Bleeding is not for the faint-hearted!

It will not be the cause of the judder though...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

I think i am destined to live with the clutch judder ! :? :? The clutch bite is what gets me it should be bite & go not bite and pull up more to pull away ?
Engine mount is an interesting one as i know i am bolt short on the drivers side,it snapped off when been fitted i have nt got round to drilling it out yet.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

Your description of bite and then release more to bite properly is quite good.That indicates that the problem is definitely the clutch (or flywheel) rather than mountings. For what it's worth (very little) I can't see it being the flywheel. Whoever made the clutch it sounds faulty