C5 Hdi Undershield

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Citroenmad wrote:I think the 2.2s have the paper filter element which is replaced, where as the 2.0s have the old style metal cylinder filter. 16v HDis have the newer style paper filter.
Mine has the 'can' - replace the lot type.
Mann W712/47.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yep, all 2.0HDi 8vs do have them. Very easy to replace and you can fill the filter with oil before you replace.

I say easy to replace, but thats only because the C5 has lots of room around the engine with a 2.0 8v. That engine in my old 206 was snug, changing the filter in that required lots of shouting and resulted in my arms being cut to ribbons!

I do prefer the later paper type filters.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Citroenmad wrote:I think the 2.2s have the paper filter element which is replaced, where as the 2.0s have the old style metal cylinder filter. 16v HDis have the newer style paper filter.
Isn't that interesting. Go back 40 years and and engines were replacing the old-style paper element filters with new style cannister ones!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Citroenmad wrote:Yep, all 2.0HDi 8vs do have them. Very easy to replace and you can fill the filter with oil before you replace.
You can certainly fill them with oil but as they are mounted onto the side of the engine block on an angle most of it will pour out as you screw it on!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

This thread reminded me: I need to get some replacement fixings for my undertray, the originals seem to be on their way out.

As for keeping it? Without a doubt for various reasons already outlined not least the grime.

And I'm convinced that when driving through a less salubrious area of Brum a few years back, the brick that was aimed at the underside of the car by a thug standing on the pavement, did very little damage because of the tray - which deflected said brick majestically.

So for objects d'art thrown in anger or simply catching the wheels, then I think the tray protects pretty well.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Wideboy

Post by Wideboy »

Having just paid out over £80 for an undertray on a mark 2 prepare your wallet.Wheel liner came in at £55 quid too so £135 for 2 bits of plastic.
Daylight robbery but as everyone has pointed out it's much better to have em.
As for vacuum extractors JohnD beat me to it.i have the 1.6 in question so obviously won't be going down that route!
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

JohnD wrote:
jmd wrote: So naturally I have reservations about vacuum extractors.
And so do Citroën - especially on 1.6 engines.

Citroën sent this to dealers:-

OIL CHANGE PROCEDURE
It is necessary to follow a specific oil change procedure on all DV6 and DV6U engines so as to ensure that no used oil remains to mix with the new oil.

The following method must be used:

• The engine oil temperature must be at least 50°C :
- -----big snip;;;;;;

These instructions were published to combat the alarming failure rate of turbos.

That's a standard way of appearing to be doing something when in fact not doing anything to resolve the problem, the cost to Citroen of this "fix" to the turbo mortality problem is ZERO! where a real fix would cost money.

Turbo's have been around for years and on many most? installations take far more abuse in terms of oil cleanliness than Citroen suggest is required for the 1.6 with no problems. The 1.6 has a very short oil change life by comparison with most cars , presumably for the same reason. My belief is that there is something fundamentally wrong with the 1.6 in respect of lubrification which to properly resolve would cost Citroen serious money but which can be ameliorated by having oil cleaner than would normally be the case so as ever the consumer carries the can.

All I can say is I use a suction device on my C5 it extracts a measured 4.0 -4.5 litres depending, which is close to a full load, yes I may get a little more out by draining from the bottom but the amount left is in the great big scheme of things insignificant.
I would make the point that when inserting the tube on a C5 it goes in easy and then appears to reach the bottom, it hasn't , a little bit of welly is required to get it right to the bottom it feels a bit like an intermediate seal on the tube. (this is a 2.2).

I have used this device on my last three turbo cars and the oil only gets changed once a year or 12K whichever comes sooner semi synth or synthetic depending on whats available at the time never had a turbo problem.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

cachaciero wrote:All I can say is I use a suction device on my C5 it extracts a measured 4.0 -4.5 litres depending, which is close to a full load, yes I may get a little more out by draining from the bottom but the amount left is in the great big scheme of things insignificant.
The difference is that when you remove the sump plug, the flow of oil carries away with the particulate matter that has sunk to the bottom of the sump. A suction device will not remove as much of this as removing the sump plug does, it will stay in your engine. My Dad used to maintain several large diesel generators, he used to talk about scooping handfulls of black carbon paste out of the sumps of the engines after they'd been running 500 hours.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Kowalski wrote:
cachaciero wrote:All I can say is I use a suction device on my C5 it extracts a measured 4.0 -4.5 litres depending, which is close to a full load, yes I may get a little more out by draining from the bottom but the amount left is in the great big scheme of things insignificant.
The difference is that when you remove the sump plug, the flow of oil carries away with the particulate matter that has sunk to the bottom of the sump. A suction device will not remove as much of this as removing the sump plug does, it will stay in your engine. My Dad used to maintain several large diesel generators, he used to talk about scooping handfulls of black carbon paste out of the sumps of the engines after they'd been running 500 hours.
I think this is why Citroen do not advise the use of oil suction pumps on the later 16v diesels. The 16vs do seem dirtier than the 8vs, my oil stays clean for ages after a change, the 16vs are black within a few miles.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Citroenmad wrote:I think this is why Citroën do not advise the use of oil suction pumps on the later 16v diesels. The 16vs do seem dirtier than the 8vs, my oil stays clean for ages after a change, the 16vs are black within a few miles.
The dirt can only come from one or two places, it's either particulates getting past the piston rings or the oil is getting overheated and is carbonising, the engine gets pretty hot when it regenerates the particulate filter...
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Clogzz wrote:A square can be cut out of the under shield to reach the sump plug.
I'm a bit confused by some of the discussion, as my Xantia HDI seems to have a small hinged door in that area. Does the C5 not have this?

Just after last years MOT, I had them do a couple of links or track rod ends. A couple of months later, maybe a coincidence maybe not, the front of the undertray fell down and scraped a dual carriageway until I could stop. My temporary bodge was to tie some thin rope across under the leading edge between two convenient loops on the chassis.

I bought some oversize washers to try to fix it back with the original bolts, though a couple of them are sheared off and there a couple of extras there that look a bit feeble. I didn't ask the garage if that was them, though I did ask on the phone about the rope before this year's MOT - not part of the test, and it's still there, as I haven't got round to trying to drill out the sheared bits or drilling and tapping new holes etc.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No, the C5 doesn't have the little 'trapdoor'
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Kowalski wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:I think this is why Citroën do not advise the use of oil suction pumps on the later 16v diesels. The 16vs do seem dirtier than the 8vs, my oil stays clean for ages after a change, the 16vs are black within a few miles.
The dirt can only come from one or two places, it's either particulates getting past the piston rings or the oil is getting overheated and is carbonising, the engine gets pretty hot when it regenerates the particulate filter...
Ive noticed this on both the 1.6 and 2.0 16vs, not just ours. I dont know why, but the oil doesnt seem to stay clean like the 8vs do.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Citroenmad wrote:
Kowalski wrote:
Ive noticed this on both the 1.6 and 2.0 16vs, not just ours. I dont know why, but the oil doesnt seem to stay clean like the 8vs do.
The simplest explanation would be that the 8vs didnt' have the particulate filter where as the 16vs do and its the filter regeneration that blackens the oil...