where have all the xantias gone?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have been looking for a Mk2 2.1 manual estate for a couple of years now, the last one that came up at a reasonable price was two years ago - and I bought that.

Peter
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Citroening wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Hmm, maybe a few ... maybe :chin: :lol:
Thinking about it I don't think there's a CX I wouldn't have rather than an XM! :o :lol: :wink:

BTW, to everyone else...sorry if I go on mad tangents about my opinions on XMs...I just can't help it! :yes: :erm:
We all know how much you hate Xms, for no good reason that I can see - but we wont go there! The XM is a totally different car to the CX, as Citroen never goes back and does the same thing again when a new car is penned.

Its just what you prefer, neither are bad cars, far from it, but i like the Xm over the CX.

I admit, ive not driven a CX, but then you have not driven an Xm ...

I can't fault the Xm.

Peter: Its been a while since i even saw another 2.1TD manual Estate for sale (apart from Andrews)
I couldn't believe it when this Xm 2.1 estate came up on ebay last year. It wasnt the cheapest, obviously, but it certainly wasnt to be missed. It did need the paint sorting out and various other bits, but its looking great now. By far the best Xm we have had, and the almost box fresh 30K 2.0 was a hard act to beat! Its ought to be a keeper.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I drove CX's for ten years or more, my last. a CX25DTR turbo Safari I had for seven years and covered over 150,000 miles in it. I reckoned while I had it that it was the best thing since sliced bread, the suspension and steering design was far superior to the XM and it had more space!

The only downsides were the useless heater, near useless handbrake and 1st gear was to high. These issues were addressed with the XM with a super heater, sensible gearing and a parking brake that worked, the downside is that they capitulated to the modern suspension norm of Macpherson struts, far less stable than the knuckle assemblies of the CX and did away with that fantastic Diravi steering, they also made all the windows higher so you can't see out.

If another nice diesel CX Safari turned up I would think seriously about it.

Peter
rmunns
My Cars: 2019 C5 Aircross 2litre diesel, auto.
2018 C4 Pic2 Spacetourer auto. Seems nice so far.
2019 C4 Cactus manual. Didn't like it, lots of niggling points. sold.
2011 C4 Picasso excl. - shaping up to be a disaster, bought June 2019. P/X'd
2009 Citroen C5 X7 exclusive, auto, LHD, 207500km (129000miles) now sold
Citroen Xsara Picasso excl. 2004 2.0 Hdi, RHD, 64000miles. (sold)
Citroen C3 Picasso excl. 2016. sold.
Two Xantias, one petrol, one diesel. sold.

In the past: Renault 16 (in about 1977, for a year). With front pass. seat out transported full bathroom suite from Cambridge to Derby!)
Renault 4TL (in 2011, for a year)

Post by rmunns »

]If I'm out-and-about I see one every 5 minutes or so. They appreciate them here and look after them. And every garage knows how to sort out any problems.

BTW in order to set up a garage business in France you have to be a time-served mechanic and have passed the relevant exams. So you don't get the amateurish service that, sadly, is sometimes the case back in UK.

{To placate those who ask ' why go the France to live?' let me say there are an awful lot of downsides to living here. But the price of building land, the basis for setting up a home, is not one of them}.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I like the lack of traffic and people :D
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Moi, aussi.

:lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:Moi, aussi.

:lol:
Adam, I wish you wouldn't post pictures like this :twisted: It makes me homesick :roll:
Citroenmad wrote:We all know how much you hate Xms...
Franklin, you're going to have to come clean over this and tell us why... :wink:

Personally, I'd love an XM and for the right one I'd even consider swapping one of my Xantias. It would have to be a V6 though, preferably a late ES9/4HP20 one...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

With roads like that, why would the waggon need Activating!
Is it trying to look like a Police car with a camera lying in wait?
Is this a challenge to show an interesting local road!

Andrew
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I did see an ami, three xaras and several newish citroens mostly big people carriers with unmistakeable masive chevrons on the front, but no xantias, estates seem to be getting very rare to.

its nice to see my dads GSA on his drive for that touch of memoribilia now and then.

he keeps talking about a mixtie which leaves me a bit baffled as to what he is talking about.

its good to see that the interest for ownning an xantia is still out there though. Keep up the good work people. it would be really good to be twenty years in the future and still see xantias out and about.

unless we end up like Japan where vechicles must be replaced every 36,000 miles or have a new engine fitted to meet goverment emmision standards.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hi Andrew, it was more of a "tongue in cheek" photo, given my propensity for parking cars in trees. :roll:

There are other roads not so far away (from that photo) I also drive, which are rippers - up and down, twisty and sweeping.

Go on; you need a holiday! :lol:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Mixte
Scroll down, it's all in alphabetical order.

:D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: Go on; you need a holiday! :lol:
I just need to come back there to live...

Blighty at this time of the year and at least until March/April and about as enjoyable as a ride in a Kia Picanto :twisted:

It's the dark that gets me. I need my Vitamin D and sunshine and If I don't get it I get SAD :twisted:

Going to work in the dark and now, thanks to the clocks going back, coming home from work in the dark is purgatory with a capital P for me. Be sure at weekend s I'll be out of doors in the daylight spannering just to get some sunshine and daylight...

At least things improve marginally after December 21st when the nights start pulling out after the winter equinox and I must say things improve appreciably again on the evening of the 26th December. The next Christmas is a whole 12 months away then - wey heay :D :D :D

I hate Christmas nearly as much as I hate damp, grey, dark British winters :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

CitroJim wrote:Franklin, you're going to have to come clean over this and tell us why... :wink:
Oh, that would be far too controversial Jim! :yikes: :yes:
Franklin
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I can never understand how opinions for particular Citroens seems polarised
even where those in the differing camps have never even tried the particular
disliked model they're slamming.

I've owned or driven virtually all that have interested me though have never
felt the urge to drive a Visa or a Xsara/Picasso etc (newer model versions).
I'm OK with the Bx though it never appealed to the artist/designer in me
and never took to the Xm initially as I never forgave it for replacing the CX!
Now look at me! Plus I'd love a D which I've driven, an Sm which I've been
passenger in and I'd love to try a Traction, a H-Van and an Ami6.

I guess if there was a Citroen I actively dislike, I'm sorry to say Chris, it'd
be a s1 C5 because of theose gaodawful front lights and general awkward
proprtions throughout the car's lines. I can just about avoid barfing when
I see a facelifted s1 C5 though. The estates seem more interesting from the
rear but never carried the svelte lines the Xantiae models have.

Andrew
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

andmcit wrote:I can never understand how opinions for particular Citroëns seems polarised
I'm OK with the Bx though it never appealed to the artist/designer in me
and never took to the Xm initially as I never forgave it for replacing the CX!
I think you've hit the nail on the head there as from what I can see those who express strong opinions of dislike towards other Citroen models always appear to point them towards the model that replaced their own favourite.

Mind you my own dislike of the shape of S1 C5's is due to them looking as if they were designed over the phone or by numerous committees who never met until they had to piece the the car together :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH