ZX steering rack gaiter clips

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

ZX steering rack gaiter clips

Post by the_weaver »

I've just replaced the nearside steering rack gaiter on my ZX 1.9D. The wire clips for holding the rubber gaiter on gave me a lot of trouble. I spent ages trying to get the big clip off. I'm still trying to get the small clip back on. Is there a special tool for doing these clips? Any tips on how to do them without a special tool? The clips are the type that look like a "figure 8" when they're on. Just a single piece of wire. I can do them ok in my hand, but when putting them on the gaiter they need a bit more force than I can manage, so I need some help from pliers or something.

One more question. I bought a new nyloc nut for the track rod end, from Citroen. It's a newer design. The new nut has got a white conical plastic cone attached to it, whereas the old nut didn't. What is this cone for? Do I just tighten the nut down onto it, and torque it up as normal? It looks like it might break or splay outwards.

Paul
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Paul, without the special tool to fit the tensioned clips that PSA use, refitting can be awkward. Sometimes a thin nosed set of pliers works, but I prefer using thin banded stainless steel 'Jubilee' clips. So much easier to fit and remove, even though I have the correct PSA tool.

As for the collared nut, just fit as per normal, the nylon cushion is just there to ensure the tapered pin is pulled up square. They only split when they are hard and crusty. If you aren't sure fit a proper nyloc nut & plain washer.

H
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks for the reply, handyman. I managed to get the gaiter clip on eventually. I used a piece of copper PCB material to twist the two ends of the clip together. The small end of the gaiter seems a bit loose. It will do for the MOT that's coming soon, but I might look at it again after the MOT. Is it possible that I've stretched the small end of the gaiter too much? I had a problem getting it onto the track rod to start with. I had to use three screwdrivers to stretch it on. I could have done with a cone to screw into the track rod.

I put the new nut on the track rod end. The plastic washer flattened out at first and then it rose up the nut, like a tube. It pushed the socket up to the top of the nut. There was still enough nut accessible to torque it up but it didn't seem ideal.

Paul
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

The trick with steering rack gaiters is usually to warm up the end in a pan full of hot water until it's nice and stretchy, then a dab of grease to lube up the track rod.
But I should imagine yours is fine, tis rather thick rubber. And if it covers the steering rack with no splits etc, it should pass the MOT no problem.

If you're still concerned about that annoying clip thing, a zip tie done up tight will usually suffice. In fact I'm not sure why your replacement didn't come with one.

-Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Thanks for the tip Alex. I bought the gaiter from the main dealers. You had to buy the clips separately but the minimum order quantity was five and ten, so I decided to reuse the old ones. I've got some tie-wraps, so I might try those. I've also got some Ligarex strapping and the special pliers, so I might have a go with that. I was just wondering whether the small end of the gaiter might be a bit too small for Ligarex.

Paul