xantia heater control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

imperial21
My Cars:

xantia heater control

Post by imperial21 »

Hi All
I thought the switch is supposed to select about 5 different speeds ? i put my fan on Auto mode it starts off slow then goes full speed, when going the manual way i have to be very careful to get slower speeds :roll: is my heater resistor on its way out ???
Thanks
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its got 'auto' on it I would suspect its the type with a transistor regulator on the blower motor, the transistors go faulty and cause all sorts of strange things.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

In auto mode, which is the normal mode, the fan speed should vary automatically to keep the cabin temperature constant. Generally it spins over fairly slowly.

In practice this works well in all modes except demist where the fan does tend to run fast when the weather and car is cold.

I have always found the manual speed selection a bit sensitive. All of mine have tended to give three slowish speeds and then full-tilt hurricane-speed at the top end with little really in between.

Remember also that in demist mode on a MK2, the aircon will automatically fire up if the incoming air is not too cold. That'll have an effect on blower speed.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sounds about right Jim....mine does random things in Auto so sits in position 3 to the right most of the time. This gives a barely audible fan speed. One more increases it to audible, and Max results in the gale / deafening status!!
Richard W
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Hi
you have put my mind at rest it sounds like mine works about as good as they get !!! :P
Thanks
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!