1993 xantia 1.9td - a good buy?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colski
My Cars:

1993 xantia 1.9td - a good buy?

Post by colski »

I've been offered a 1993 Citroen Xantia 1.9td as my friend wants rid of it.

Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice on weather its worth doing up.

It's not perfect by any means, its done 175k and could really do with a new cambelt as it's 'unknown' when it was last changed.

It smokes a bit when started first thing in the morning but its fine after that (not really worried about that - its an old diesel!)

There is a knocking noise coming from the gearbox and the gearstick shakes when you put your foot down, any idea's on what that could be?Once up to speed it drives great.

I've never owned a car with such high miles, although have seen 1.9td's with over 200k so I guess they must go on.

I've heard these engines can suffer with head gasket problems, any advice on how to prevent that from happening?

Lastly the suspension seems nice and smooth and front spheres and acc sphere has been recently changed, plus it has had new glow plugs, fuel filter, rear arm bearings and clutch clip all in the last 6 months.

Thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, a very good buy :D

A 1993 model will be a "sinker" and will sink down to its bumpstops overnight whereas the later anti-sink Xantias won't. It suffers not a jot from being a "Sinker" and in many ways, it benefits. Spheres last longer for one thing.

You'll find, I hope, the Cheverons are on the bonnet rather than the grille.

All the major work has been done :D

The banging will be caused by the lower engine mount donut having gone soft. It's a bit of a task to replace it but not beyond the pale.

Smoking in the morning will be either weak glowplugs or perished leakoff pipes. neither is a showstopper. What colour is the smoke?

175K is a low mileage really. Just run in.

Go for it! One thing about the early Sinkers as they are nowhere near as complex as a later Xantia. In reality, they're a BX wearing a pretty frock...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Get it before one of us find out where its too!

A very good find that one, first model year sinker/chevrons on the bonnet with a 1.9 TurboD engine I guess? They were only around for a few months as the majority of sinkers were petrol.

As long as its been looked after to a degree there's not really much that can go wrong. Do check the front strut top mounts for excessive rusting as thats the only slightly expensive bit (£130) if they need changing.

I know little about gearboxes but no doubt someone will be along soon to point you in the right direction.

At the end of the day, if you have the facilities to do at least some of the labour yourself Xantias are cheap cars to run.

EDIT: What did I tell you? He got in there a second before me!
Last edited by red_dwarfers on 24 Oct 2010, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

It seems like the previous owner has looked after it.

How much does he want for it? As long as he doesn't want silly money (£500 plus say) then it appears to be a good motor.

As long as there's no bodywork rust then these Xantias can go on forever.

Have you any photos you can post?
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
colski
My Cars:

Post by colski »

Ok, seems to be all positive so far. Yes its a sinker and has chevrons on the bonnet and no airbag.

The bodywork is totally rust free and looks good underneath too.

Thank you CitroJim on the info about the knocking noise with the gearbox, thats really helpful :)

I will try to upload some pictures if I can work out how!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nice find and well worth putting a little bit of work into.

colski wrote: I will try to upload some pictures if I can work out how!
There is a guide here but for a quick fix email them to me.

Push the email button at the foot of the post.

As far as the strut tops are concerned, take a look in this thread, with particular regard to andmcit's latest post. :(
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Smoking on startup, in the morning, could be an air leak into the fuel system. I would check the fuel pipes for fuel leaking out. Start at the priming bulb and follow the pipe in both directions. Check the priming bulb for splits. You might want to try squeezing the bulb a few times, in the morning, before starting, to see if the smoke is reduced.

It could also be due to a failed glowplug. I know they're new but what make was fitted? The TD's are tough on glowplugs and some aftermarket plugs aren't up to the job and will fail quickly. The best make is Beru, which last a long time.

Paul
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

It's not this one is it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/citroen-xantia-red-/110602902157

it's a L reg and even says low mileage!! Doesn't say if it's a 16v or a TD
mind although most Xantiae are TD... :?

Andrew
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Colski, if you buy it, and the vibes dont turn out to be caused by the rear engine mount, then it may be one of the driveshaft inner 'tri-ax' joints, they wear and this manifests itself as a shaky gearstick and a wobbly acceleration :D a cheap fix from a wrecker, although a few hours labour
John
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

As I keep reminding people, Chevrons on the bonnet and NO air bag, does not always mean a sinker...

You need to listen to the car running, does it HISSSSSSSSSSS a lot when running??

My Xantia with chevrons on bonnet and no air bag IS an Anti Sinker! Yet ive customers with an identical Registered year and looks, and she is a Sinker!

The other easy way to tell, is there a sphere in the middle just forward of the spare wheel carrier?? If so its an anti sinker... also, the Hydraulic pump will have ONE metal Pipe and ONE larger rubber feed pipe, below the altinator..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
colski
My Cars:

Post by colski »

Thanks Paul (the weaver), some useful advice there. I'm not sure what make the glowplugs are, but no doubt they will have some heavy use this winter so time will tell.

No it's not that one Andrew, i'm buying it off a friend who no longer wants it, and it's silver! :D

Thank you John it's good to have as much infomation of different possibilities on what it could be. Forgot to mention the needle for the speedo wobbles when going up the gears too, but again its fine once in forth and fifth, don't know if that is related to the problem aswell or if its just how they are - its an old car!

Lastly to Paul (citroenxm) its a sinker! My friend has owned the car for a while and it sinks right down after an hour or so, and yes it does HISSSSSSSSS alot when running. It's quite an early one being registered in august 1993.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I was half wondering if it was my old Sinker but that one was light blue..

The HISSSSSSSS is certainly a nice characteristic :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
colski
My Cars:

Post by colski »

CitroJim wrote:I was half wondering if it was my old Sinker but that one was light blue..

The HISSSSSSSS is certainly a nice characteristic :)
I couldn't agree more! Its how an old hydraulic Citroen should sound :)
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

DEFENATLY!

Nice one! Nice too hear of another Sinker... Ive been told when customers get rid of their L reg sinker, I have first refusal... :D

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
colski
My Cars:

Post by colski »

I don't know what it is about sinkers, they just seem a bit more special, even more so now they are getting rare.