Suspension Query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

techwondo

Suspension Query

Post by techwondo »

Greetings to alll!!!!

Im posting this, as my neighbour has a R plate 2.1TD Xantia SX, which is causing some consternation.

When he first bought this car it didnt sink over night and when the engine was started the stop light went out immediatly. Over the last few weeks, its began to sink over night and the stop light is taking between 1 and 4 minutes to go out.

Another quandry is the physical LHM level indicator seems to be stuck.

There is a pronounced ticking, which sounds like its comming from under the LHM fluid resaviour (or however its spelt) which seems to come and go as it wants.

While im OK fixing my own car, im new to Citroens. Any help is appreciated.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Are there visible leaks of fluid either from under the car, in the engine bay or in the driver's footwell behind the pedals?

Has the steering become stiffer?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

if the llevel indicator on the tank is up the top of the sight glass, this is usualy because the tank is over full, this wont affect anything in the system apart from make a mess as the citro blood seeps out around the top of the tank,

the ticking is more than likely the acumalator/regulator sphere, this is the one on the device (regulator) on the front of the gear box,

the other thing to check is the pump drive belt,

that will give you something to start with till others sudgest more

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Your queries from the top down.

1. Hydraulic reservoir level MUST be checked with the control lever in HIGH (fully back), wait for car to rise completely on suspension, then wait a couple more minutes for the float to settle - if it's still right at the top, tap the sight-gless as the float has probably stuck. If necessary, top up with fresh LHM (only!) until the float is half-way between the red lines.

2. Sinking over-night and

3. Frequent ticking - these two are related. The ticking noise is the valves in the hydraulic pressure regulator sequencing to maintain pressure. With the engine ticking over, and the system fully pressurised, tick-rate should be about once ever 30 seconds. Less than about 20 seconds suggests that the accumulator sphere needs replacing (new not 'reconditioned'). The rear 'anti-sink' sphere might also need replacing. Sticky on whole subject.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)