C5 Sticking Throttle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Delta Wizard

C5 Sticking Throttle

Post by Delta Wizard »

Hi
Has anybody ever had a problem with the throttle sticking on a C5 HDI. Twice now when I have accelerated hard the cars revs have shot up and stuck at that level. Since the car is automatic the only solution is to knock it into neutral - the revs die down to normal after about 30 seconds. Any ideas?
TIA
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Have you checked that the oil level is not overfilled as this can cause uncontrollled over revving ? Is the floormat in the footwell clear of the pedal ?
Delta Wizard

Sticking Throttle

Post by Delta Wizard »

Hi

The pedal seems to be clear of any obstruction - I have checked it by hand and using my foot. there is a thick wire that is fastened to the shaft of the pedal - I did wonder whether this could catch on the mounting plate bolts.

Somebody else has suggested that the the throttle potentiometer might be to blame?
TIA
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Did you confirm the engine oil level is NOT overfull ?

Although when they run away like that they tend to make an awful noise, and a lot of smoke (perhaps the stronger emission control systems can contain that though)

Check on level ground after the engine has been stopped for at least a few minutes. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG