xantia warning lights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ranthony
My Cars:

xantia warning lights

Post by ranthony »

In my Xantia 1.9TD Auto the Sport and Frost indicator lights (by the gear indicator light) flash when selecting reverse. The manual only says to contact the dealer, but what is likely to be the problem?
ranthony
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Er... That you haven't had the car plugged into a Lexia diagnostic computer? :P

Do they flash in unison or one-then-other? I've observed an undocumented behaviour where the AL4 dash telltale will flash briefly (less than a second typically) before it actually engages a gear. Sort of like it's saying "wait for me".

Having said that, it won't hurt to check the software version and see if there are any stored fault in the transmission ECU. Could be a minor issue like slightly wrong fluid level.
ranthony
My Cars:

Post by ranthony »

Thanks for that, Addo. Booked in for diagnostics on Friday, but I'm trying to anticipate the problem (and how expensive it might be) - the handbook is no help. The lights flash in unison. I hope it's as simple as fluid level - although I checked that three weeks ago.
ranthony
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Make a point of asking for printout of screen for any faults found. You'll need to tell the service agent in advance; it's much harder after the fact.

Lighting in unison indicates a fault present (active) at the time of flashing.

Does it engage forward gears at all harshly?

As a general comment, many of the members here have a Lexia, whether official or pirate version. There's a Sticky topic on it, located in the Sticky Topics forum. You may find future benefits if someone is nearby; compensation or inducements to be negotiated between you and they.
ranthony
My Cars:

Post by ranthony »

Thanks again - and for the advice on asking for a print! No, there is no harshness or jerking in engaging any gear. In fact, there is no indication of anything different apart from the lights.
ranthony
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Not sure about the Xantia, but on the C5, flashing of sport and snow lights means that the transmission oil needs changing because it’s done this many miles at that temperature.
It won’t know if you change the oil, the counter has to be wound back with a Lexia.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
ranthony
My Cars:

Post by ranthony »

That could be, Cloggz. I have recently changed the cam belt because of the age of the car (2000). I'll mention it to my man with the Lexia tomorrow.
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

This happens occasionally on my AL4 box and wiggling the selector usually cures it. I think it's the contacts needing cleaning as no other ill effects. :D

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
ranthony
My Cars:

Post by ranthony »

Just for interest, it did turn out to be contacts on the selector rail. There may be damage to the track because of arcing so it needs to be opened and cleaned. Thanks for all your advice.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ranthony wrote:Just for interest, it did turn out to be contacts on the selector rail. There may be damage to the track because of arcing so it needs to be opened and cleaned. Thanks for all your advice.
Useful to know :D How was it diagnosed?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

I think he just wiggled it about :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

Keith
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
ranthony
My Cars:

Post by ranthony »

It was a combination of the Lexia and working through the possibilities. It will disappear if you jiggle the stick about, but there is a fault and the arcing could make it gradually more serious. I did pass on the suggestions from here to my man with a spanner, which might well have helped too.
ranthony