Protecting my new transporter trailer - wheelclamp?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

davetherave wrote:Having seen pictures of you towing before i thought you were rather flexible with the towing capacity anyway!
There are orders of magnitude whilst taking the p!ss mind. A Xant towing an
Xm or Cx on a car transporter will be off the scale but an Xm towing another or a Xant hasn't caused issue yet... Again here's hoping NOT!

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 11 Nov 2010, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm honestly far from convinced. I've seen cars stolen for salvage or scrap, with boom lifts. Everyone assumes it's legitimate. I've seen cars wound onto tilt trays for parts or rebirthing; when do the police ever stop a towtruck and ask "What are you doing"?

Were I the thief and you mucked me about with a wheelclamp, I'd simply come back with an oxy and cut it off, and on the way out light a slow fire.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

you can get tiny disposable bottles for oxy torches.... It very quiet and you could easily cut those clamps off.... Especially given the trailer has two axles, who would care if they have to tow it with one flat/melted tire .... I wouldn't !!! Infact they'll probably tow it a short distance, then fit the spare that's come free with the trailer :?

I'm going to keep my trailer locked up in a shed ....... With a 40kg rottie wandering the yard. For starters the trailers are hidden in the shed.... and damn you'd have to be brave to come into my yard and steal them. It's likely a very p!$$ed owner may turn up at home trapping you and your tow vehicle in the yard.

Blocking the trailer in out of reach of a flat tray "crane truck" would be ideal. Unless of course the crane truck first lifts all the other cars out the way, then enters the yard within reach of the trailer. It's not like you would be rushed if you live in a remote area. If it takes you an hour to get to and steal, this is no big deal.

seeya,
Shane L.
'96 Big BX 2.1TD exclusive slugomatic (aka XM)
'85 CX2500 GTi Turbo Series II (whoo hooo)
'96 Xantia VSX slugomatic (sold !!)
and of course, lots of old Citroens, slowly rusting away in pieces ;)